Toddler Peeling Feet

Lounge By Rachie204 Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 4:09am by lemonish

Rachie204 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 11

my daughter is almost 19months and I noticed the other day that her feet and toes were peeling some....now they seem to be worse and some areas appear to be soft blisters. She hasn't had any different shoes or socks, and hasn't had her feet near anything different. We did have vacation bible school last week but to my knowledge she only swam once for all of 5 minutes. Anyone else had anything similar?...she has one tiny spot on her hand as well but it might not be related. She has also had diarrhea the past few days which I doubt is related but figured it is worth mentioning.

10 replies
Doug Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 11

at last -- I'm not alone!

I've had this happen all my life -- off and on. Not as much now as when I was younger (ah to be younger again!)

Only a problem when, true to being a boy, I "helped" -- ok ripped the skin off.

Happens on both feet and hands, feet usually more extensively. And yes, looked like a dry blister most of the time when it started.

Had me wondering if I wasn't part snake. (Oh no, house of Slytherin! I want to be a Gryffindor!) My mom said I was just growing too fast and was shedding (but MOM, snakes shed --- eewwww!)

If all that is peeling is dead white skin, I wouldn't worry too much. If fluids are leaking then I'd see a doctor.

Of course if diarrhea requires doctor visit can ask about this then too.

myslady Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #3 of 11

For her diarrhea you can give her a tablespoon of flour mixed with a half cup of water and have her drink it all. Don't give it to her too often though, as it can cause her to be constipated.

don't know about the feet issue. Do you think it could be athlete's feet?

BlakesCakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #4 of 11

Sounds like classic athletes foot and a gastro intestinal bug.

Toddlers can get dehydrated very quickly with diarrhea. If it's really been going on for several days, you may want her checked out by a doctor. Rotovirus goes around day cares, bible schools, etc.

For the feet, I'd check with the pediatrician to see of over the counter powders, sprays, and creams are OK for small children and proceed with one of those right away. The longer athletes foot goes untreated, the harder it is to get rid of completely.

Rae

cakesbycathy Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:18am
post #5 of 11

My DD had that once or twice last year or the year before (she will be 6 next week). I freaked out, too!

We didn't do anything. It cleared up on it's own after a couple of days thumbs_up.gif

Doug Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:24am
post #6 of 11

just to add:

having had athlete's foot (thanks HS gym class showers and locker room), if she's peeling as described, doubt it is that.

had this long before getting athlete's foot and many times since.

one notable hallmark: unlike with athlete's foot where there is redness and lots of itching, this doesn't hurt at all. No pus, no fluid in the "blisters", just dead skin that peals off.

And as mentioned in OP, in happens on the palms of the hands too.

Just looks like you're "shedding" your skin, if you will.

All the times I've had and still have this, its just like cakesbycathy says: it clears up on its own.

Now if there IS itching and redness, then.... time for meds.

ThreePrinces Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 11

Eczema?

My youngest (he is 4 now) has eczema and it can cause scaly hard areas as well as peeling. Try some hydrocortisone cream. If that doesn't help, there are some prescription creams you can get.

CWR41 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 11

Ahhh... flashback, that reminds me... I had it once several years ago in between my fingers. It didn't take long for my skin to stop peeling--maybe a week or two, but it was so weird. I guess I was dehydrated.

KathysCC Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #9 of 11

This has happened to my daughter all her life, especially after trips to the beach, swimming, extended bathtub swims and sometimes in the dry air of winter. It happens to the palms of her hands as well.

If she has dry peeling skin with no blisters, itching or redness then I would think it is nothing to worry about. My daughter has extremely dry skin and I noticed her strange peeling feet and hands when she was just a little baby. You don't have to do anything, it will peel away and be fine. Lotion could make her slip and fall.

If she does have itching, redness or cracking then you might want to see a dermatologist.

kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:22am
post #10 of 11

I get that on and off, especially in the summer when flip-flops and sandals are the main foot wear. Rub a little lotion on her feet, and like everyone else has said, no redness, no itching--I wouldn't worry.

lemonish Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:09am
post #11 of 11

It is called Pustular Psoriasis and I have it... right now actually...

if you have that you also usually have regular eczema when you have it. It's annoying and itchy. I use perscription hydrocortisone cream and corto steroids for it. The only real risk with them is sometimes they thin the skin but my dermatologist checks up on it.

The blister is just filled with a clear water like fluid.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pustular_psoriasis/article_em.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psoriasis

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%