Edible Support Structures

Decorating By crazyofficefan Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 1:41am by crazyofficefan

crazyofficefan Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 8

Hey I'm about to make a cake for my first cake contest. In the rules it says that I can use dowel and toothpicks for support but it cautions not to use much else. My cake will require a sort of platform to hold up a large amount of pound cake, but I'm afraid if I use non-edible material for the platform, the judges may take it out of my score. Does anyone know of any strong edible materials I can use as a platform? I'm a beginner with more elaborate 3D cakes so any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

7 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 8

I dont know if this would work . . .It just popped into my head and ive never tried it . . Can you get 'candy rocks' where you live?

well, at least here in the uk, They are a hard candy , In a long round shape, they come in all different thickness's and lengths, and are reaaaaly hard, and there made from sugar so it would be edible !

Doug Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 8

what are the rules on cakeboards?

---

and a diagram of what you intend would really help in terms of giving best advice.

---

Caths_Cakes: Brilliant, positively brilliant.

carrywilsonhome Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 8

As someone is judging the very contest I imagine that you speak of, take it very seriously. Not much more that dowels or toothpicks. Some people have already blown it.

crazyofficefan Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #6 of 8

To Doug

This is exactly what is written for the specific rule in question:

Cakes MUST be CAKE. The entire creation needs to be edible. You MAY use fondant, marzipan, sugar glass, and any other type of edible material for support. You MAY also use some toothpicks or dowels to support, but tread lightly here... (Typically, I'll allow you to enter either way, but the more cake, the better. The judges panel may take support structures into account.)

And i would like to make a 3D version of this design, so I'm thinking the "edible" support piece would be used in the rooster

http://www.threadless.com/product/901/The_Emergence_of_the_Easter_Egg

Doug Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #7 of 8

your bigger challenge is the undercut...the rounded bottom of the rooster. Normally, this would be done with RKT.

in this case, that would be out.

not sure what to tell you.

crazyofficefan Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #8 of 8

Ya I was gonna use RKT and I don't think that it would be against the rules, seeing as it is technically edible, plus Ive seen some earlier entries, and they used RKT and didnt seem to have a problem getting their entries through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%