Strange Result With Buttercream Icing-Please Help!!

Baking By jessim Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm by matthewkyrankelly

jessim Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 9

I use 1c. Crisco, 1&1/2 lbs powered sugar, pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp of vinegar, and about 1-1&1/2tbsp of corn syrup and water as needed. I have used this recipe 100 times and never had this result. (oh yeah I used flavoring that was a yellow color, which tinted the icing a bit) Okay, when I was finished the icing looked as if it had curds and I used a good bit of pink gel color and it would never color pink! It was orange and horrible orange at that! I let it set and walked away, because I needed a break before I threw it out the window. I came back to it, the color hadn't changed, and I added a little bit more sugar and melted butter, instead of water, thinking it might help. As soon as I added the butter the color changed to pink, like it should have been, and I mean immediately! It was really neat to see and it made me happy because now I didn't have to start over. The added sugar and butter also helped the texture. Has anyone every had icing to 'curd' like that and does anyone know why the butter would have changed the color??? I guess I should also mention that I live in SC and it is 105 degrees out, I don't know if that makes any diffrence. Thanks so much!!!!

8 replies
pbeckwith Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 9

I've never used a recipe with vinegar. Don't know why you got those results, sometimes the yellow color of butter changes things but. . . sometimes I'll use some color white before adding a color. It seems to make it more vibrant. I always use the color white in my cookie glace.

DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 9

Is this the first time you've used the new Crisco without trans fats? I don't use Crisco, but every time I've seen these questions come up (curdling, bad coloring), 99% of the time the new Crisco is to blame.

jessim Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:00am
post #4 of 9

Thank you- I did hear about the new Crisco, and that it didn't make good icing. It is the first time I have used Crisco since it was changed. Goodness- can you tell me what a good brand is?? I have used Walmart store brand and it was horrible, I had to throw away an entire cake because there was a sheet of white grease on top of the icing, on the cake! Thanks again- thanks lots and lots!

jessim Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:04am
post #5 of 9

I use a little bit of vinegar because it cuts down on cracking. I'm pretty new at this, so I try just about everything I hear, and it does seem to help or I've just gotten better at getting the icing to the right consistancy.

indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:41am
post #6 of 9

crisco changed about a couple of years ago.....what have you been using in the last 2 years?

I use crisco all the time with zero problems. Never had any. Also I've never seen vinegar in an icing recipe and I've never used melted butter.

klangl Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:14am
post #7 of 9

I have to wonder how much milkfat is in the butter? Maybe that is what is causing the icing to curdle, I know to make sour milk you add vinegar to it and it curdles somewhat... IDK...Just a thought!!

jessim Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 9

I have only been decorating for maybe a year and I used to use butter but it got too expensive. I do cakes for family and very close friends, they are free, and I'm a poor! I think I got the vinegar idea from C.C. but I have to make more so I'm not going to use the vinegar, and see what happens. I don't want to change two things from the recipe at once so I can find which one causes it to turn out bad. Thank you very very much for your responses. I was also thinking maybe the butter added the extra fat that isn't in Crisco???

matthewkyrankelly Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 9

I have young kids and we color Easter eggs. Pink is the only color that gets messed up when you add vinegar. One of the packages even mentioned the pink color, but you can never tell which tablet is pink before they dissolve.

Vinegar messes up some colors, but it really screws up pink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%