Sand/ Coral Effect (I Really Have No Clue What To Call It)

Decorating By sweet_honesty Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm by Caths_Cakes

sweet_honesty Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone know how I can achieve the look on the tiers in this picture?

So far I have tried using a small piece of sponge with firm peak royal icing and basically sponging it onto a piece of fondant. I found the "spikes" were a tad too large. I regret not taking a pic of it to post up here but any advice would be welcome.

The pic was sent to me via email so I'm not sure who to credit.

5 replies
Kellbella Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

How about using a brush? Dipt the tips of a round bristle brush and blot on the cake??? I really have no clue...just guessing icon_confused.gif

WykdGud Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 6

You can add some water to your royal icing and try again. Or you can use melted white chocolate. Or use a paint sprayer to spray cocoa butter on the surface.

sweet_honesty Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks guys. I actually started with softer royal icing and eventually ended up with the best results with firm peak. Best being relative.

I'll try the paintbrush and see. Any guess right now is worth a try. The wedding isn't until next year so I have time to practise.

Occther Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 6

Instead of royal icing, why not try buttercream?

Caths_Cakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 6

lots of time icon_smile.gif i would try a large firm bristle paintbrush , and almost 'stipple' on the royal icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%