Monogramed Cookies, Should I Do Glace Or Fondant?

Baking By Echooo3 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 3:06pm by Redsoxbaker

Echooo3 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 11

Wedding Cookies

She wants hot pink hearts with their monogram in Black

I was thinking using toba's glace (hot pink) and then cutting letters using gumpaste to put on top

Should I use hot pink fondant and then the cut gumpaste letters?

I know working with the black gumpaste they are going to get that white powdered sugar all over them. Any ideas how I can get them black again?

10 replies
montanabaker Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 11

I would use royal icing...flood the cookies and then monogram on top

verono Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 11

I would use glace for hot pink and monogram using a stencil in black royal icing.

drakegore Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 11

i vote for glace with fondant monos icon_smile.gif. it really is very easy (see my heart cookies if you wish, they are toba's glace with fondant mono).

the cornstarch brushs right off the monos but if you needed too, you could just barely moisten a brush with extract or vodka and off it comes...but i have never had to do that with the tappit cutters and i have used them with all colors.

Redsoxbaker Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #5 of 11

Look at drakegore's cookies. They are amazing !! I ordered tappits just because I loved how her cookies looked. I got a lot of great advice from her too icon_biggrin.gif

Echooo3 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 11

I have the tappits and my fondant won't come out of them. What is the secret?

GeminiRJ Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 11

Another option is to make the monograms out of Wilton Candy Melts (they come in black around Halloween, so they should be hitting the stores soon). Pipe reverse image monograms on waxed paper, dry, then flip them over. When you ice your cookies, set a monogram on top while the icing is still wet.

Dreme Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 11

Naturally my vote is for fondant. I have some monogrammed hearts on my website. I use everclear to get fondant back clean.

Echooo3 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 11

Well, I ended up using Toba's glace and black fondant tappits. The tappits were somewhat challanging, they were the funky letters.

The "M" legs kept stretching as I removed the tappit. Overall they turned out pretty good. I will post a pic soon.

Thanks for everyones help!!

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 11

Glad to hear it all worked out. I'd love to try out those tappits....

Redsoxbaker Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 11

I use crisco on mine and they come right out. I forget who said to do that but it works ! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%