How Much To Charge For Decorations?

Business By willbear27 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm by willbear27

willbear27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willbear27 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone, long time reader here! I have a question I'm hoping you can answer.

I was hired by my boss to do 50 cupcakes for a ladies 90th birthday this Saturday. She wanted lemon raspberry with some pretty flowers on it. So I got the pretty flowers done, and my plan was to bake late Friday and decorate Saturday morning. I was doing this as a favor as I am technically on holidays.

She just called and I guess the daughter was confused and didn't want cupcakes afterall, she wanted a cake for 100 more people. My boss wants to pay for the decorations I made. I haven't put any luster dust on yet. The largest flower is a little bigger then a quarter, then a smaller on with a small leaf.

I have no idea how much to charge? I usually add an extra $1 for fondant work to cakes, but no idea what to charge for cupcake decorations.

2 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 3

So is he paying for your time working or does he actually want the flowers? If I get to keep the flowers and have something I could use them for (such as a family occassion coming up soon) then I wouldn't charge him. IF you get to keep the flowers but not sure what you'd use them for then I would, personally, charge $1 per decoration. IF you don't get to keep them then go online and find a distributor that sells the same item and go with that price. Lastly, and more math than I ever want to put into it, you can figure out what it cost you to make the items and then triple that amount. Hope this helped!

Cat

willbear27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willbear27 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 3

She wants the flowers. She called back and wants me to finish the flowers and drop them off at our baker so they can put them on the cake they are making. I was originally going to charge her $100 for the 50 cupcakes (like I said, I always give her a deal) I was thinking $40, that way my time and ingredients are covered at least. All the rest of the ingredients are something that I will use in the future so I'm not charging for that (butter, eggs, cream, icing sugar, etc...).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%