Wedding Cake Decorators: Would You Let Me Add To Your Cake?

Decorating By Crabbabs Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm by Crabbabs

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 14

With so many of my friends getting married soon, it has made me begin to think about my own wedding (which will probably happen in a year or two).

I'm a hobby baker and would love to make my own wedding cake, but after reading a lot of advice, I have no desire to put that type of stress on myself. However, I would like the make an edible topper out of fondant/gum paste.

I know a lot of bakers are strict (and rightfully so) when it comes to "additions" to a cake to be able to control the product they deliver. (A common example is only the baker arranging fresh flowers on the cake instead of the florist).

My question is: Would you allow an edible topper to be put on top of your cake?

This is all hypothetical - I'm not even engaged yet (lol). I'm just curious. icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 14

I wouldn't see where this would be any different than a purchased topper. I would certainly allow it. HTH.

samarinbooboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samarinbooboo Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 14

I agree with JanJess. It should be treated like any other topper. Let the cake person get the photos they want of the cake and assign someone to put your topper on before you get to the reception. icon_cool.gif

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 14

I would let you!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 14

If you would bring this up while your designing your cake it should be no troulble. What gets me in when a customer tells you what they want, you design it & then 2 weeks before the wedding show you the topper they picked up @ the local craft store. The customer is always right though.

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbabs

With so many of my friends getting married soon, it has made me begin to think about my own wedding (which will probably happen in a year or two).

I'm a hobby baker and would love to make my own wedding cake, but after reading a lot of advice, I have no desire to put that type of stress on myself. However, I would like the make an edible topper out of fondant/gum paste.

I know a lot of bakers are strict (and rightfully so) when it comes to "additions" to a cake to be able to control the product they deliver. (A common example is only the baker arranging fresh flowers on the cake instead of the florist).

My question is: Would you allow an edible topper to be put on top of your cake?

This is all hypothetical - I'm not even engaged yet (lol). I'm just curious. icon_biggrin.gif

Non-issue for me

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 14

Pick a baker that has made cakes with a similar style to the edible topper you want to make, make it in advance and send pictures of it to the baker for design reference so everything matches nicely.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 14

Oh I don't see that a cake topper would be an issue for any decorator. Wouldn't bother me a bit! icon_smile.gif

P.S. Definitely take sadsmile's advice about sending pics to the baker, though. icon_wink.gif

iwantalicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantalicakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 14

I wouldn't mind if I made your cake and you wanted to add something of your own on top

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 14

I think that sounds like a lovely way to be involved with your wedding cake minus the stress! I'd have no problem with it either.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 14

I don't think most of us mind if someone supplies something for the cake (topper, flowers, etc). It's that we want to put it on the cake. I've heard too many horror stories of florists jamming flowers into a cake, holding onto the cake and leaving dents in the frosting/fondant, knocking other decorations off the cake, etc. So in the case of real flowers, for example, I tell the florist to leave the flowers on the cake table or in the fridge and I will put them on the cake.

The important thing is to talk to your cake decorator and see if they mind.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 14

Honestly, I don't care WHAT you do with or to your cake once my job is done. If someone orders a plain, all white fondant covered cake and I deliver it and get a signature I'm done! If they want to add ribbon, gawdy flowers, and brown poo icing scrolls all over the thing, that's their right....once I'm finished, I could care less!

Adding a topper certainly wouldn't be an issue!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #13 of 14

Adding a topper wouldn't be an issue for me either.

Another suggestions though (as this is what i plan on doing) is make your wedding cake as a dummy, then you can order the kitchen cakes from someone else so you don't have any baking to do that week. For me it's not an issue of the price, it's a matter of knowing that i'm going to get EXACTLY what i want as the main cake. With the dummy cake i can make it weeks or months in advace so i'm not doing it the week of the wedding

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 14

The main reason I thought this might be a problem is that the topper would be made of edible elements and would look as if whoever made the cake also made the topper. I could see a baker being a little hesitant because if the topper turned out horrible, their name would be attached to the cake.

Good idea about making it ahead of time so the baker could see it. That would prevent what I talked about before.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%