Candy Clay Figures

Decorating By Haven Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 12:21am by Haven

Haven Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make a Cinderella dress cake with the little mice and birds sewing her dress. Does anyone have a great candy clay recipe? I also really need advice and directions on how to make the mice. Any help will be so appreciated! Tia.

7 replies
linstead Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 8

Personally I would use fondant or GP for the figures but you can probably use any standard modelling chocolate recipe. Also did you see this cake:

Found it in the Search when I put in Cinderella dress and then clicked on the see more photos - it is on the first page of the photos.

deMuralist Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 8

modeling clay recipe is 1/3 C corn syrup to one 14oz bag of melted candy discs, mix until it forms a ball then spread it out thinly on saran wrap and let cool, then knead it to make it pliable.

I have seen posts on CC that suggest that it is easier to work when mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with fondant. I think it could be difficult to make the figures out of the chocolate alone as it softens very quickly, if your are a slow builder your hands are warm enough to make the figure not hold its shape.

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 8
Originally Posted by deMuralist

modeling clay recipe is 1/3 C corn syrup to one 14oz bag of melted candy discs, mix until it forms a ball .......

I use this recipe, too, but I also squeeze out as much liquid as possible before allowing it to rest. By ridding it of so much fat, you have a longer time to work with it and it holds its shape better if it's a bit warm.

Haven Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for the picture, Linstead. It's perfect! Also, thank you to the other helpful cake decorators for passing along the recipe for candy clay! The reason I don't want to use fondant with it is the taste factor. Maybe I will mix a batch both ways and see how it tastes. Now, I know I am repeating myself, but I really could use help with instructions on how to make the mice.

deMuralist Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:41am
post #6 of 8

I would google youtube videos using regular clay-it works the same way, and there are a lot of videos showing how to do animals.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:59am
post #7 of 8

Great question and great answers. Thanks Rae for that tidbit that I'll be using from now on!

Haven Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:21am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the hint to google how to make regular clay animals. For some reason I never thought of that. Great idea! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%