Scones?

Lounge By SweetResults Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 6:02am by luvmysmoother

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 9

I have to make scones for Fair Contest and am wondering what you all think would be a ribbon winning flavor? The recipe is a King Arthur Flour one, but I can add dried fruits, nuts, other flavoring.

The fair is in Vermont, so what ideas do you all have for me?

Also, any tips on making great scones? I made a trial run and they were not bad, but I bake cakes - not scones LOL! So any advice is welcome!!

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

8 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 9

Maple Nut. Starbucks here used to have a maple nut scone that was tremendous. Unfortunately, they don't carry it anymore.

LyndaJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyndaJean Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 9

I use refrigerated flavored coffee creamer in place of the liquid. I've used hazelnut flavor, and added chocolate chips, and cinammon flavor with raisins and added about a teaspoon of cinammon for extra flavor. But I'm sure there are plenty of other combinations. The only hint I have for making scones is to not over knead the dough. Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 9

Maple nut sounds like a winner to me!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 9

Here's a link to several Southern Living Oxmoor House scone recipes. I've made the Lemon Poppy Seed scones and they were delish!

http://search.myrecipes.com/search.html?type=ct:Recipes;et:Southern%20Living;&Nty=1&Ntt=scones

Edited to add the link! DUH!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 9

I found a recipe online that my family loves. I had to stop making them because we were eating them by the dozens. They're Grandma Johnson's Scones. And there is no Grandma Johnson in our family.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/grandma-johnsons-scones/Detail.aspx

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:26am
post #7 of 9

Peach.....my biggest seller at the tea shop!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #8 of 9

Lemon, pumpkin with a spiced sugar glaze, snickerdoodle, Craisins with orange zest, blueberry, vanilla - orange.
I prefer the snickerdoodle or blueberry myself.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:02am
post #9 of 9

Yes - the Grandma Johnson scone recipe is the ONLY recipe I love and it's super easy to makeicon_smile.gif I like to make "scone strudels" and roll the scone dough like fondant or pie crust, cut into squares, fill the centre of each square with blueberries dusted in flour, sugar, cinnamon or whatever you like (as long as it's a nice thick filling or non-oozing fillingicon_smile.gif) and it not only looks and tastes great but each scone has a nice surprise inside tooicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%