What Is The Best Kind Of Flower For A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By julesh268 Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm by julesh268

julesh268 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 9

I love making bc roses and can do the same in royal frosting, but I am wondering what would be the best flower for a wedding cake? fondont, gum paste, bc, or royal?...or others?

I have a wedding at the end of Sept (my first for my cousin) and am doing my trial run next week.

Thanks for your opinion!

8 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 9

Gumpaste would be my first choice and fondant my second. With gumpaste you can get the petals extremely thin and more realistic. Plus they have a long shelf life.

leily Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 9

I think it all depends on the flower and what they wan the flower to look like, and the size of it. You can only go so big with buttercream or royal icing. But for example a buttercream rose looks a lot different than one made out of fondant or gumpaste. I don't think there is a better medium to use, just a better medium to use on a specific design. (oh and if the cake is going to be outside that might change what medium you use too)

julesh268 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 9

I was thinking gumpaste would be the best choice, but I am inexperienced in making them. I can do a trial round and if I am unhappy I think I will go for royal. With bc I just worry too much about someone bumping them...but I guess that could happen to the cake just as easily. icon_rolleyes.gif

PatricesPieces Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 9

Gumpaste.....always my first choice.

indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 9

I think it all depends on your skill and the look you are after.

I was a BC-only gal for 30 years. All flowers on my cakes were edible BC (I don't consider gumpaste "edible").

As far as the look .... I think the gumpaste look the most real.

Unlimited Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesh268

I can do a trial round and if I am unhappy I think I will go for royal. With bc I just worry too much about someone bumping them...but I guess that could happen to the cake just as easily.

Of course, gumpaste roses will look the most realistic.

I wouldn't make roses with royal icing unless it's for a dummy cake... you wouldn't want people to break a tooth on 'em!

Buttercream roses aren't that fragile especially if you let them air dry in advance then place them on the cake where you want them. They aren't going to get bumped (cake table perhaps)... if buttercream roses get crushed, it's because someone smashed or squeezed them on purpose.

indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:

With bc I just worry too much about someone bumping them

You could "worry" about somone sitting on the cake, but that doesn't mean you'd make it from concrete to prevent cake damage.

I never use royal icing for anything on a cake.

julesh268 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

With bc I just worry too much about someone bumping them

You could "worry" about somone sitting on the cake, but that doesn't mean you'd make it from concrete to prevent cake damage.

I never use royal icing for anything on a cake.

You ladies make me laugh! Thank you! I LOVE making bc roses and can knock them out with my eyes closed. I think I will try the gum paste and if I can't do them I will go to plan "B" and my true love...bc roses! I think I am old school!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%