Anyone Else Have A Ka Mixer Just Die?

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm by cakes47

Writecakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 9

My Kitchenaid was working fine, no problems, no sluggish behavior, no smoke, no weird noises. I turned it off while making icing, came back to stir it up some more and it would not turn on at all. This was a Christmas gift from 2 years ago. I haven't abused it - I don't make fondant in it or mix concrete or anything - just cake mixes and buttercream icing.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. My husband is going to take a look at it and if he can't fix it, then I guess I'll have to send it off. icon_sad.gif

8 replies
Sassy74 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 9

That sounds like it's most likely an electrical problem. Very few mechanical problems will cause the mixer to be working fine one second, and not at all the next. Maybe one of the solders on your circuit board shorted or came loose. There should be a 1-800 number on your mixer that you can call for info. Just tell them what the problem is and they can help you find a local place to service your mixer. Keep in mind, "local" may just mean "closest." The closest one to me is about an hour away.

I know all this because mine quit on me this past weekend, but it's a mechanical problem. Mine is 9 yrs old, so I'm not surprised. The wurm gear is just worn out, so its easily replaced.

Hope yours is easily repaired!

LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 9

I havent had this happen but our probably 10 plus year old KA doesnt work very well anymore. Even at the stir setting it will throw things out of the bowl. It is speedy and wont change speeds until after about 6 or so anymore. I keep thinking we need to find some place to take it and see if it can be fixed but still havent.

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 9

Do you live in an old house? Have you checked to see your breakers or fuses, or whatever there called? This is unusual.

heavenlys Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 9

You should be able to find a place in your area that services them. I am on my 3rd in 10 years. I am hard on them icon_eek.gif

Writecakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much for all the replies. I will call them today and pass on any information when it's all resolved. Maybe it will help someone else icon_smile.gif

shalini1 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 9

Normally when you tax the machine it just decides "hey, you don't obviously know I'm working too hard here...I'm taking a break". That's what my KA did to me. I freaked out. It just DIED. I gave it a few minutes to cool down and then realized there is a reset button by the side of the head (I have the professional series). Pressed that baby and the KA works again. I don't know if yours is as simple as this, but hey, you never know! HTH

costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 9

I've killed many a mixer in my time...I have two KAs in the shop right now, actually. Everything with moving parts will eventually quit working. See if you can find a small-appliance repair place near you, they can probably see what's wrong with it.

cakes47 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 9

Before your husband ''checks it out'', call KA. They're are excellent to deal with.
And they just may send you a replacement KA and UPS will pick you yours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%