What Yummies Do You Ship And How?

Business By saberger Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm by Kima920

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 21

I know about shipping cookies (since I do that), but I am curious to know if anybody ships anything else out such as pies, cakes, cupcakes) and how you prepare/package them.

TIA

20 replies
saberger Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 21

Anybody?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 21

I would also be interested in this...cakes and cupcakes are probably a non-starter, but I've been looking at shipping muffins, which are OK out of the fridge for several days. Haven't really found any good information though.

saberger Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 21

Well, I have heard of others shipping cupcakes and big (and $$$$) disasters with those ice chest thingys. But I am curious about other peoples experiences shipping different things.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:51am
post #5 of 21

I've shipped cake truffles - I put them in tins and they are tightly packed in there with plastic wrap and bubble wrap. The tin is then packed tight inside a box that is packed tight in another box (that way if the outer box is damaged, the inner box still keeps everything secure). I do similar with cookies and bouquets.

I saw some VERY expensive patented cupcake shippers recently - they were so expensive I didn't even save the link. I want to say the place selling them was in San Diego maybe, but I can't remember for sure.

saberger Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #6 of 21

Thanks for sharing CookieMeister! Did you freeze the truffles before sending them? I'll have to search for those cupcake shippers....just out of curiosity icon_wink.gif

CookieMeister Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:03am
post #7 of 21

No, I don't freeze the truffles, but I only ship them November-May. Otherwise, they'd be a hot mess!

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 21

Hi All!
I ship pretty much everything! I live in PA and have shipped to NJ, NYC, MD, and VA. I have even sent some chocolate dipped goodies to Iraq for a solider. I only ship fondant covered cakes for obvious reasons but have had very little issues shipping except when I let the shipping company pack my box instead of myself. I ship brownies, pastry bars, cake pops, cookies, cupcakes, cakes and other products. I do freeze them all up until I get ready to pack the box to take it to be shipped. I only ship overnight max 2 day except when I shipped to Iraq.

CookieMeister Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 21

How do you box up your fondant cakes for shipping?

Kima920 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 21

I put them in a cake box wrapped up with plastic wrap and bubble wrap. I then put it in a cardboard box surrounded by more bubble wrap and packing peanuts. I don't put anything on top of my cakes though like figures because I don't know how they would hold up.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 21

I've shipped all sorts of drop cookies, decorated sugar cookies, and quick bread minis. I plan to ship pocket pies this fall/winter. When I ship the baked goods, I individually wrap them in bags and tie off with a ribbon to keep them fresh. I put layers of bubble wrap between layers of cookies when shipping decorated sugar. I fill the box to capacity so that they don't move around.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 21

Check out mason jar cupcakes (google) - I plan on doing this with family and friends in different states. icon_smile.gif

saberger Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:04am
post #13 of 21

Kima920 - do you freeze the fondant covered cakes as well? I thought that the condensation is deadly for it. I guess any designs that you use on it would have to be flat (fondant) rather than sticking out (RI designs) or it would peel off when you unwrap the cake.

Has anyone shipped cupcakes that are NOT in glass? That really scares me if it were to break.

Thanks for sharing everyone! icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:10am
post #14 of 21

For those of us on the west coast, OnTrac offers overnight delivery within California for quite a bit less than USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

https://www.ontrac.com/servicesCA.asp

Kima920 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:11am
post #15 of 21

I do freeze fondant covered cakes and never had a customer complain about the fondant. I just try to get the fondant as hard as possible on the cake so it doesn't get pushed in or anything. Yeah either there are flat fondant ones for shipping or chocolate accents. I shipped the tool box cake in my pictures to my father in NJ and got it this morning and said it was perfect. I ship cupcakes in plastic containers and I freeze them the night before I ship. The key is to ship overnight when ever possible and make sure you pack very securely. If you are worried about thawing before stuff gets where it has to go just use ice packs.

saberger Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:07am
post #16 of 21

Regular ice packs, like what I would use in a cooler or lunch bag? Do you wrap the cake in saran wrap or just the box? How do you make sure the cake doesn't move around IN the cake box? And once they receive it, is usually defrosted by then or do they let it come to room temperature? Sorry for all of the questions. I really appreciate you sharing this!!! icon_smile.gif I also assume that you are then limited in the kind of cake filling you can use.

Kima920 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #17 of 21

Yes those kind of ice packs. I don't know if anyone else uses anything different but when its really hot that is what I use. Most cases I don't need them since I freeze the cake. I wrap the cake with saran wrap if I can but sometimes depending on the shape or if there are chocolate pieces like the tool box cake I wrap with the bubble wrap place in bakery box and then wrap that with bubble wrap. I get the smallest box possible that matches the size bakery box.. so if the bakery box is 12x12 then I a 12x12 box or a 14x14 box. That way there is very little space for the cake to move around in. I use packing peanuts to fill in the rest of the space and pack the box tight with them. Depending on where I am shipping the cake is either defrosted by the time they get it by I typically tell them to take it out of the box and take it out the bubble wrap and let it come to room temperature. to make sure it thawed out. I don't really use a lot of fillings that require to be refrigerated.. the only thing I use mainly is cream cheese but I am not heavy on the cream cheese since I am shipping them. Insulating the box like that keeps everything cool so I have never had someone complain about their cream cheese filling. I put fruit in buttercream all the time with no issues. Hope that helps.

gnee_gvc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gnee_gvc Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:53am
post #18 of 21

This is all great info. I've always wondered about shipping. I live in AZ. If I ship here I think I might need ice packs in the summer. Where do the ice packs go? I'm imagining in the packing peanuts. Is that where it goes?

Tell me if I got this right:
-So cake goes wrapped into a tight cake box
-That goes into a regular box about the same size
-That goes into another box with packing peanuts. How much larger is this box?

Thanks!!!!

Kima920 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:55pm
post #19 of 21

Gnee_gvc,
You only need 2 boxes not three. You put the cake or other item into a bakery box. Then you wrap that box with bubble wrap. And place that into a shipping box. When using ice packs you want to wrap them up in saran wrap as well so as they melt they won't wet up everything in the box and the saran wrap helps slows down the melting process. I either put the packs on top of the bakery box or on the sides and then put in the packing peanuts. For the shipping box I get a box that is the closest size to the bakery box I am using to eliminate space and jostling around during shipping. I don't know if their on fans of UPS on here but for me I don't like them and only use FedEx. I have never had a problem with FedEx unless its going to the city (NYC). When it goes there I just think the people really don't care lol. I also mark on the shipping box FRAGILE and THIS SIDE UP all over the box. So the pick up person knows that there is something fragile in here. For hot states I would recommend if you can get your hands on it some dry ice, but if not if you freeze the products and use ice packs you should be fine. If any one else has any questions please let me know or you PM me as well icon_smile.gif
Kima

icesk8ermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icesk8ermom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 21

How do you keep the cake from sliding around on the cake board with all that moving around?

What is an average cost of shipping a cake via Fed Ex?

Jason---what is an average cost of shipping with the company you recommended?

Kima920 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #21 of 21

I place the cake onto the cake board with buttercream and then I attach the cake to a cake drum the same size as the bakery box I plan to put it in. The shipping cost depends on the weight of the cake. For to ship to MD or NJ is between $10 to $15. Of course the customer pays the shipping costs. The lighter the box the less the shipping will cost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%