How Have You Handled Dairy And Soy Allergies For Icing?

Baking By pmarks0 Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 3:22am by jason_kraft

pmarks0 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make a cake for my 3yr old nephew. He is lactose intolerant but can eat eggs. I've found a scratch white cake recipe I've used before I can substitute rice milk for the milk in it, but it uses shortening. I saw on the Crisco can that even though it's all vegetable, it is made with soy products. This also means that I don't think I can make a shortening based buttercream. Since all other icings seem to have either butter or shortening in them, how do you handle icings for cakes for kids (or adults) with these types of allergies? I've asked his mom to clarify for me if he just can't drink soy milk or if he reacts to all soy products. I had wanted to use a FBCT I have in the freezer of Max and Ruby but they were made with shortening and butter.

Ideas? Thanks.

7 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 8

Soy-free shortening = Spectrum Organic Shortening

pmarks0 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 8

Really? Didn't even know it existed. I'm in Canada, so I'll have to see if I can find that or something similar. Does it behave the same way as other regular shortening in, say, SugarShack's recipe?

cupcakemkr Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 8

Wholefoods sells it here - check your natural or organic grocers/markets. It is not a high-ratio shortening and is not quite as smooth as say crisco but it does fine.

MichelleB0802 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 8

i made a cake for a dairy allergy and the crisco wasn't a problem. is lactose intoerlant different from a dairy allergy? I used the wilton buttercream recipe and that uses crisco and water (no milk).

pmarks0 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 8

Great! Thanks for the info.

tanstaafl Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 8

Often with a soy allergy the person does not react to soybean oil, which is what is in crisco. I would clarify with his mother what soy products he reacts to. I use coconut milk in place of cows milk in my icing as my daughter is allergic to dairy and soy as well.

jason_kraft Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:22am
post #8 of 8

You can buy a 4-pack of Spectrum palm oil shortening from Amazon for ~$20 (they are currently backordered):

We use palm oil shortening for our soy-free frosting (all our frosting is dairy-free). Rice milk is another useful item for soy-free/dairy-free baking.

Thanks to new zero trans fat laws it is much easier to find palm oil in bulk...for example, Sweetex Z is soy-free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%