Wedding/specialty Cake Pricing

Decorating By StephanieLynn Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm by cattycornercakes

StephanieLynn Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 7

I have a customer who wants a Virginia Tech cake, but she only needs it to serve around 20 people and she wants it staced. I am boing to do a 9 inch and 6 inch. My prices start at $3/serving for wedding cakes/specialty cakes. They are several bakeries here that are offering a 2 tier stacked cake at a lower price and the servings are larger than your 1x2 piece. One place I checked gave me the following prices:
2 tier stacked square cake to feed 50 is $105
2 tier stacked round cake to feed 40 is $84

Does anyone else have the 2 different prices or should it be straight across the board?

Please Help!!

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

The only difference I see in their pricing is a square cake yields you more cake so therefore more money.

I charge the same for all my cakes..$3.00 per serving for Buttercream and $5.00 per serving for fondant...embellishments extra.

KHalstead Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 7

If you divide their price by their servings it comes out to $2.10/serv. for both cakes, so that must be their price per serving.

Personally I would ask "what sizes" those cakes are, their idea of a "serving" may be different than yours.

I quote that a 4" and 6" round stacked would equal 22 servings (6"=14 serv., and 4"=8 servings)

I charge $2.50/serv. for tiered bc cakes so I would charge $55 for that.

I would consider a 6" and 9" cake to be 44 servings (6"=14, 9"=30) which is more than double what your customer needs.

kakethings Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 7

some orders are not worth doing, or not worth your time. I say with doing all those small dollars orders, in the end it's not worth the headache... anything specialty I start off @ $150.00. I'll do alot of sheet cakes before I spend 3 or 4 hours on something special around $60.00. A mechanic still charge even if it's something simple. Sorry I had to vent on this one, I miss my family time.... When I take an order I think about the headache in it, like if it's a car I will not do a lil car for under 250 because small or big it's still alot time in it..so go to somebody else I'm not doing it.

StephanieLynn Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 7

What size are your servings and what serving chart do you go by? I charge $3 for buttercream and $4 for fondant, decorations are extra.

I have been decorating cakes for over 2 years now and have just started to really make it a business(part-time). I have been getting several orders and have just realized I really need to get the prcing, servings, etc. set in stone. I also work 40 hour job as well.

Any other suggestions would be helpfull..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

The only difference I see in their pricing is a square cake yields you more cake so therefore more money.

I charge the same for all my cakes..$3.00 per serving for Buttercream and $5.00 per serving for fondant...embellishments extra.

indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 7

call it wedding, call it birthday, call it celebration, call it kiss-my-butt-at-8th-and-main cake .... all the same costs, all the same work, all the same price.

Sounds like it's time for a KFC review!
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=597044&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=kfc&&start=0
and
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=662684&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=kfc&&start=0

cattycornercakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn

I have a customer who wants a Virginia Tech cake, but she only needs it to serve around 20 people and she wants it staced. I am boing to do a 9 inch and 6 inch. My prices start at $3/serving for wedding cakes/specialty cakes. They are several bakeries here that are offering a 2 tier stacked cake at a lower price and the servings are larger than your 1x2 piece. One place I checked gave me the following prices:
2 tier stacked square cake to feed 50 is $105
2 tier stacked round cake to feed 40 is $84

Does anyone else have the 2 different prices or should it be straight across the board?

Please Help!!

A 9" and a 6" (assuming 2 layers) will give you approximately 36 servings. So if you charge $3/serving, its $108. It doesn't matter that she only wants 20 servings...she wants a 2 tier cake which will yield 36 servings so she would pay for the servings she's getting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%