Wedding/specialty Cake Pricing

Decorating By StephanieLynn Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm by cattycornercakes

StephanieLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephanieLynn Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 7

I have a customer who wants a Virginia Tech cake, but she only needs it to serve around 20 people and she wants it staced. I am boing to do a 9 inch and 6 inch. My prices start at $3/serving for wedding cakes/specialty cakes. They are several bakeries here that are offering a 2 tier stacked cake at a lower price and the servings are larger than your 1x2 piece. One place I checked gave me the following prices:
2 tier stacked square cake to feed 50 is $105
2 tier stacked round cake to feed 40 is $84

Does anyone else have the 2 different prices or should it be straight across the board?

Please Help!!

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

The only difference I see in their pricing is a square cake yields you more cake so therefore more money.

I charge the same for all my cakes..$3.00 per serving for Buttercream and $5.00 per serving for fondant...embellishments extra.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 7

If you divide their price by their servings it comes out to $2.10/serv. for both cakes, so that must be their price per serving.

Personally I would ask "what sizes" those cakes are, their idea of a "serving" may be different than yours.

I quote that a 4" and 6" round stacked would equal 22 servings (6"=14 serv., and 4"=8 servings)

I charge $2.50/serv. for tiered bc cakes so I would charge $55 for that.

I would consider a 6" and 9" cake to be 44 servings (6"=14, 9"=30) which is more than double what your customer needs.

kakethings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakethings Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 7

some orders are not worth doing, or not worth your time. I say with doing all those small dollars orders, in the end it's not worth the headache... anything specialty I start off @ $150.00. I'll do alot of sheet cakes before I spend 3 or 4 hours on something special around $60.00. A mechanic still charge even if it's something simple. Sorry I had to vent on this one, I miss my family time.... When I take an order I think about the headache in it, like if it's a car I will not do a lil car for under 250 because small or big it's still alot time in it..so go to somebody else I'm not doing it.

StephanieLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephanieLynn Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 7

What size are your servings and what serving chart do you go by? I charge $3 for buttercream and $4 for fondant, decorations are extra.

I have been decorating cakes for over 2 years now and have just started to really make it a business(part-time). I have been getting several orders and have just realized I really need to get the prcing, servings, etc. set in stone. I also work 40 hour job as well.

Any other suggestions would be helpfull..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

The only difference I see in their pricing is a square cake yields you more cake so therefore more money.

I charge the same for all my cakes..$3.00 per serving for Buttercream and $5.00 per serving for fondant...embellishments extra.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 7

call it wedding, call it birthday, call it celebration, call it kiss-my-butt-at-8th-and-main cake .... all the same costs, all the same work, all the same price.

Sounds like it's time for a KFC review!
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=597044&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=kfc&&start=0
and
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=662684&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=kfc&&start=0

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn

I have a customer who wants a Virginia Tech cake, but she only needs it to serve around 20 people and she wants it staced. I am boing to do a 9 inch and 6 inch. My prices start at $3/serving for wedding cakes/specialty cakes. They are several bakeries here that are offering a 2 tier stacked cake at a lower price and the servings are larger than your 1x2 piece. One place I checked gave me the following prices:
2 tier stacked square cake to feed 50 is $105
2 tier stacked round cake to feed 40 is $84

Does anyone else have the 2 different prices or should it be straight across the board?

Please Help!!

A 9" and a 6" (assuming 2 layers) will give you approximately 36 servings. So if you charge $3/serving, its $108. It doesn't matter that she only wants 20 servings...she wants a 2 tier cake which will yield 36 servings so she would pay for the servings she's getting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%