Can I Use Bread Flour?

Baking By jenng1482 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm by leah_s

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I use the WASC and chocSC recipes primarily. I was delivered a 50# of bread flour by my supplier because they were out of what I usually order. It was very reasonably priced. Will this work in my recipes or should I send it back and wait for all-purpose? I do not have very much knowledge in the "science" of baking.

Thanks!

3 replies
mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 4

Unless you are planning to make bread, croissants, or brioche, I'd send it back. There is too much gluten in bread flour and it will make your baked goods tough. While that is desirable in some things, it isn't good for cake.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 4

I don't think you can use bread flour for cake with favorable results. Bread flour has more gluten to develop the texture of bread so I think it would be different. I am no expert but I even sub AP flour for my rolls when I want something more light and fluffy.

Maybe someone else can chime in here with more specific advice and expertise but I don't think you want that for cakes.

icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 4

Send it back. Bread flour is suitable for bread because, as stated above it has a higher gluten/protein %. Frankly, the AP flour isn't your best option either. You need cake flour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%