Made Tylose Glue But I Pour Tap Water To Thin It, Help Pls

Baking By soledad Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm by soledad

soledad Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 10

I made tylose glue as per recipe with cooled boil water. Left it on counter till this morning, when I saw how thick it was I decided to thin it, but I forgot that it had to be with cool boil water and put tap water instead icon_cry.gif . Can I still use it to decorate my cookies with MMF decoration icon_confused.gif ?? It is my first time with cookies and my first time at making MMF also. I made the fondant last night, it looks fine. This cookies are for my daughter who is coming from Honduras at 1PM today.
Thank you!!

9 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 10

I always use tap water to make my glue, never had a problem.

Tiffany29 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 10

It should be fine.

AileenGP Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 10

Ditto that.. I always use tap...

Tiffany29 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 10

Just a suggestion.
While the cookies are in the oven, you could cut your fondant pieces and have them ready to place right on the cookie as soon as they come out of the oven. The fondant sticks without having to use a glue.

Peridot Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 10

I also just use tap water. Why would you need to boil the water first?

soledad Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you very much...I feel better knowing there is nothing wrong with it.
The recipe I found in "CAKE JOURNAL" called for cooled boil water, that is why I did it that way. Tiffany29... I am trying to do that also but I am new at this and therefore not fast enought, so I tried to be ready with the tylose glue. Thank you all for your prom reply!!!!My daughter just called and she is getting on the plane righ now, she does not know I just learned to do cookies, she will be surprise! icon_biggrin.gif
Thank you!

Tiffany29 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 10

Aww, that is really sweet of you! Good luck with your cookies. Hope you have a good visit with your daughter. icon_smile.gif
Be sure to post a pic of your cookies!

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 10

I make my gum glue with tylose & tap water all of the time.

I run the tap nice and hot, sprinkle on some tylose, snap on a cap over the container, shake like the devil, and allow to sit. Works great.

That said, with a flat item like cookies and MMF, I wouldn't bother with gum glue. Water brushed on an decos on the MMF will do fine.

As for sticking the MMF to the cookie, if you can't do it while the cookie is still warm, a bit of water, piping gel, jam thinned with water, or my personal favorite--corn syrup--will do the job very well.

soledad Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all for your help icon_biggrin.gif!! I will now try to post pics but since I have never been able to do so before, if you have the time you could see them in my photos, OK? Here I go icon_lol.gif I am does not go tru, it says "THE ATTACHMENT/IMAGE MUST BE LESS THAN 800 PIXELS WIDE AND 800 PIXELS HIGH" I do not know what to do, the pixels things is way over my head. I will eventually learn but have to wait until one of my kids has time to explain, OK? Rae, I was thinking of using water, but I thought it might make the cookie soggy, now I know better, will be buying corn syrup since you can also use it for other things. I have never use it before. Thank you again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%