Urgent Advise Needed For Son's Wedding Cake.

Decorating By auntbeesbaking Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 10:11am by julzs71

auntbeesbaking Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #1 of 13

I'm doing my son's wedding cake next week and my friend told me I should rethink the order. The top (not being saved) and bottom tiers are dark chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling. The second tier from the top is carrot with cream cheese filling and the third from the top (second from the bottom) is lemon with lemon filling. The cakes are going to be stacked and not pillard. She told me she thinks the carrot cake will be too heavy to sit on the lemon because it's a heavier cake. I guess I wonder why this would be an issue if I'm doweling them and the cake will be resting on the plate on the dowels.

She also said I sholdn't torte them because it would be too unstable for stacking. In the past, I've only had filling between the two cake layers. Since it's a wedding cake, I did wonder if they shouldn't be torted which would mean 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling since I would be splitting each layer in half. What do you recommend?

I am planning on frosting all the layers in Extra Special Buttercream and then fondant them with vanilla fondant.

Finally, can I have the cake completely done on Thursday for a Saturday wedding and it still would be okay?

I would be eternally grateful for any thoughts or advise you can give me.

12 replies
julzs71 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 13

If you use good supports then you should be o.k.

Lcubed82 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #3 of 13

The supports hold the tiers, not the tier below. I like the SPS, but before learning about that used the Wilton hollow columns, not the wooden dowels.

My only concern on torting would be with the carrot cake. Is it scratch or box? I made scratch last year, and it would have crumbled if I had tried to torte. Maybe you could just have the two layers in that tier. Torting is great, as long as you use an appropriate filling that isn't too slippery.

bmarlow001 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:30am
post #4 of 13

I know carrot cake is heavy but as long as your support system is well executed then Iwould think it would be fine.

If you finish the cake on Thursday as long as it's sealed with the buttercream and your fondant it will be good for saturday.. I have actually done this before icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

momtofourmonkeys Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:34am
post #5 of 13

I agree with everything the pps have said. Torting and filling will be fine, expect maybe the carrot. Use a good support system. If you have time to order and have it delivered, I suggest the SPS system.

As for having the cake finished on Thursday, it won't be a problem. I did my brother's wedding cake last year and did the same thing. With all 6 of our family members in the wedding and my family in charge of the decorating, I knew Friday was going to be too busy so I finished the cakes on Thursday night.

jerseygirlNga Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:07am
post #6 of 13

Ditto to everything...except the carrot cake. If you want to torte without torting...Divide the batter into 4 cake pans rather than two. Now you've eliminating the need to torte and you have the same effect as all the flavor layers. Keep a watchful eye on your bake time..

Good luck and congrats!!!

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #7 of 13

ditto to all of the above.

my only question is: Has your friend ever even MADE a cake before? Because her 'concerns' sound like things a cake civilian ... one who knows nothing about cakes .... would say. icon_confused.gif And if she hasn't made a cake, then why are you even listening to her? icon_rolleyes.gif

auntbeesbaking Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:08am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

ditto to all of the above.

my only question is: Has your friend ever even MADE a cake before? Because her 'concerns' sound like things a cake civilian ... one who knows nothing about cakes .... would say. icon_confused.gif And if she hasn't made a cake, then why are you even listening to her? icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually she has, and her mother has done cakes for over 30 years and her mother is the one that told her about the issues (incidentally her mom made my Confirmation cake back in '76!). I've decided I'm getting so stressed listening to her "advise" that I'm going to deliver the cake with my husband the day before at the church where the reception will be; that way, they won't have to worry about it. (They were going to set it up for me on the day of the wedding so I wouldn't have to). They also said it will be too heavy to be stacked and I have to have some of it pillared (which is not what my future daughter-in-law wants; her wedding, her cake I say). And, she says I absolutely must make the cakes ahead of time and have them frosted and in the freezer by next week because they are not going to let me get stressed. I DO appreciate where they're coming from, but since I'm on the groom's side of the family, I don't think I have as much to do.

Please wish us luck-going to bride's house tomorrow and making the gumpaste and fondant daisies for the wedding cake and I've never made flowers before from gumpaste or fondant (and yes, my friend will be there too - we all go to the same church. Incidentally, the bride's mom happened to live in the suite above me at Concordia my first year of college! Small world, huh. Our kids grew up together from babies on. My son and future- DIL are one year and one day apart in age - they celebrated birthdays last week in fact!)

I want to thank you all for responding. You have put my mind at rest. I don't have the SPS yet and someday hope to get one. Since my husband lost his job over a year ago and I'm on disability, we just haven't had the extra money. I've only used wooden dowels and never had an issue. I hope I remember to get one extra dowel to dowel the entire cake together in the center.

Thanks again CC friends!!! icon_smile.gif

auntbeesbaking Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you, too for the advise concerning the carrot cake I didn't know that it would be so different as the others regarding the torting.=!

jerseygirlNga Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 13

Carrot cake is not as dense and extremely moist. Thats where the difference lies I think. Others would have to post their results. This is based only on the carrot cake I make and there is no way I am changing the recipe. I think its great but I know it wont hold up under fondant.

I may test some day but I figure, why bother. Never had the need to torte...my husband and kids are like vultures circling fresh road kill, when that cake is ready to come out of the oven. I kid you not, they hover cut their "wedges" and eat the icing out of the bowl. I think I only frosted and iced the first time.

leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 13

All the above advise is great, with one tiny exception. Did I read cream cheese filling? Depending on your recipe, you can not leave it out of refrigeration. You might try LorAnn cheesecake flavoring to add to buttercream. it's good and it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

And if you can get SPS, you should.

auntbeesbaking Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:38pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

All the above advise is great, with one tiny exception. Did I read cream cheese filling? Depending on your recipe, you can not leave it out of refrigeration. You might try LorAnn cheesecake flavoring to add to buttercream. it's good and it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

And if you can get SPS, you should.

Thank you, Leah! I didn't think about that~Hmmm...I've never had a problem with the cream cheese frosting I use for my cinnamon rolls. We've had them set out at room temp. for days (if I can get my kids and husband to not eat them all up in one day!) and no one has gotten sick.

julzs71 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 10:11am
post #13 of 13

For the carrot cake just back your cake in 1/2 the size as usual, that way you don't have to tort them. Just stack. I have a sharp knife, so I usually don't have a problem with torting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%