"cupcakes"... A Dying Food Trend?

Baking By armywife1 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 1:36am by armywife1

armywife1 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #1 of 25

I just read an article on Yahoo that said cupcakes and six other fad foods were on their way out. It pretty much made it sound like cupcakes just weren't cool anymore. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this. icon_smile.gif

24 replies
Btrfly578 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 25

I prefer making cake, but I like making cupcakes also.

ALR1955 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:49am
post #3 of 25

Who wrote the article? I doubt that cupcakes will totally die off.

goodiegoddess Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 25

trends say doughnuts are making a come back!

frankdiabetes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 25

With all the new shows focusing on cupcakes: Cupcake Wars, DC Cupcake, etc., I think they'll be more popular than ever.

cheriej Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #6 of 25

I just read the article and the basic point they were making is that with the proliferation of cupcake stores across the country coupled with the economic downturn, wouldn't people just realize they could make cupcakes cheaper at home and that this was basically a "cupcake bubble" waiting to burst.

I did not read all 358 comments to the article. Some people were saying they could make cupcakes at home a lot cheaper. But others were saying that a little piece of "cake" was nice to have. I did not know that Magnolia was opening a store in LA or had opened one. I'll have to see what that is about.

People said the same thing about Starbucks. No one will ever pay over $1 for a cup of coffee that they drink at home!

DianeLM Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:06am
post #7 of 25

You'd never know it by looking at my area. Three cupcake shops just opened up within 15 miles of my house.

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:25am
post #8 of 25

This sounds like the same article that popped up, saying the exact same thing, about a year ago.

Heck, most of you folks are still trying to convince me that fountains and stairs are "out", but I was still making them right up to the moment that I closed the shop! icon_lol.gif

VickiChicki Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #9 of 25

I hear ya Indidebi... and cupcakes will NEVER DIE! They are just too freakin' cute... and in most cases... DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

armywife1 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #10 of 25

We just had a cupcake shop open up in our town as well. From what I hear, they sell out everyday. That's why when I read this article it made me go icon_confused.gif . There's also been a cupcake bus that parks on my side of town. I think they do well too.

kansaslaura Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:55am
post #11 of 25

Sometimes I think papers just need something to fill column space--When I read all these opinions I hear that voice from the old Charlie Brown movies..'wah wah wah wahhwhahhh wahhh'

I'd like to know where all these 'experts' get all the info anyway... There is a new list of something good/bad/in/out/fat/thin/big/little....everyday!

lorieleann Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:57am
post #13 of 25

I bet that story was planted by the Macaroon Mafia icon_wink.gif

kansaslaura Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:08am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

I bet that story was planted by the Macaroon Mafia icon_wink.gif

Scoundrels!

dbrprc Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:37am
post #15 of 25

I just read that article too...

No one will change my mind, I think cupcakes are a little piece of heaven on earth! lol

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:34am
post #16 of 25

In the words of Alton Brown ... A cupcake is just a vehicle to get icing to your mouth! icon_lol.gif

armywife1 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrprc

I just read that article too...

No one will change my mind, I think cupcakes are a little piece of heaven on earth! lol

Amen!!!

kansaslaura Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:28pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

In the words of Alton Brown ... A cupcake is just a vehicle to get icing to your mouth! icon_lol.gif

Occasionally I will put a sign by the tray of cupcakes of the day and put that quote.. should leave it there, people love it, agree, and buy cupcakes!

LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #19 of 25

I personally am tired of all of the hype around cupcakes. But I don't think they are a dying trend. I think they will be around for a long time. I deleted my recordings for DC Cupcakes and Cupcake Wars and told my mom Ive moved onto bigger things I like cake more now. I hope the Macaroon Mafia does come out I love macaroons and they arent found a lot where I live. I don't want them to take over cupcakes though.

MissLisa Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ohhh why bother............just give me a spoon! icon_lol.gif

carrywilsonhome Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:48pm
post #21 of 25

Fountains and stairs? Really? Why?

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:51pm
post #22 of 25

What? Lava cakes are out? When were they in? Am I behind the times! We just had one last night at a new restaurant and I decided I needed to learn how to make them.

And Bubble Tea? Yuck! Sorry to all you bubble tea lovers. I couldn't get past the little bubble things in the drink. I still don't know what is in them.

But cupcakes, no never. Proliferation? Yes! In Chicago alone there are now going to be 4 different cupcake trucks. What will happen is they won't go out, but so many will crop up that it won't be profitable, so some will close. And by that cycle it will look like cupcakes are on their way out.

But I did notice that one of the local cupcake places in my town are now experimenting with brownies. Hmmmm.....next fad?

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:53pm
post #23 of 25

I forgot to mention the Magnolias and Sprinkles are now opening many stores in different cities. Yes, I believe that cupcakes are becoming ubiquitous, and that is what will hurt the cucpake name icon_wink.gif

Will it become a thing like Walmart where you are encouraged to support the local bakery owner instead of the chains?

Just some food for thought.....

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm
post #24 of 25

Sorry to see this topic die. I thought it would have been a great discussion on the future of cupcakes,.

armywife1 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #25 of 25

Well, I'm curious as to how this cupcake thing will go. It seems ever since this one cupcake store opened up in town, everyone wants to jump in and open up a cupcake storefront. I too am wondering how far this will go and how it will fair on each business. So far, I think the first one to open is still going strong. We'll see what happens if more open. Any thoughts on that? Does anyone else have several cupcake storefronts in their area?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%