Piping On Fondant

Decorating By AmyBee Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm by sweettreat101

AmyBee Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake for my cousin's first birthay. It's the perfect time to practice my piping as I am VERY new at it. I made frosting that must be refrigerated as it has 1/3 cup of milk in it. Can I pipe on fondant and then refrigerate it? Will it bleed tomorrow when I remove it from the refrigerator? I was also thinking about maybe piping with candy melts ... ??
Thanks for your tips in advance!
Amy

6 replies
PiccoloChellie Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:33am
post #2 of 7

What recipe did you use for the icing? Just because there's milk in it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be refrigerated; most American buttercreams have enough sugar to preserve the dairy and render them stable at room temp.

AmyBee Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 7

6 tablespoons butter
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup Cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Thanks !

and FYI my house is pretty hot & humid right now ... no AC ... so i suppose i risk bleeding if kept on my counter aswell... ugh !

PiccoloChellie Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBee

6 tablespoons butter
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup Cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Thanks !

and FYI my house is pretty hot & humid right now ... no AC ... so i suppose i risk bleeding if kept on my counter aswell... ugh !

Yeah, that doesn't need refrigerated. For future reference, you might like to replace part of the butter with shortening when it's hot...or, better yet, switch to Indydebi's buttercream, which is VERY stable in high heat & humidity:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

How much time do you have before the party? Can you take a little scrap of fondant and pipe some of your icing on it and see how it fares?

AmyBee Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #5 of 7

Thank you very much !

I unfortunately don't have time for testing ... it needs to be ready by noon tomorrow. i've decided to pipe (more like paint with a paintbrush) the cherry blossom branches with candy melts and probably just print the "Happy Birthday" on frosting sheets ... just to be on the safe side. I'll be testing it however for future reference.

I love making cakes but I very much hate last minute decisions.

Thanks again,

Amy

PiccoloChellie Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:00am
post #6 of 7

Amy, painting cherry blossom branches with chocolate sounds really pretty! I love the more delicate-looking cherry blossom cakes and it sounds like that's the effect you'll get.
Please post a photo when you're done! thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 7

Your frosting doesn't need refrigeration but if you are worried you can sub the milk for non dairy coffee creamers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%