Motorized Cake

Decorating By Affey Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 11:27am by UpAt2am

Affey Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 5

Need some help. I am doing a 50 yr. cake. I want to put a motorized turntable inside the top tier so that on top of the cake the numbers 50 are spinning. I have no idea where to start. Can anyone help?

4 replies
online_annie Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 5

For something of that size and weight you could probably find a battery operated on at a hobby store ( Hobby Lobby, ebay etc.) in the model section. A lot of hobbiest use them for model cars. You can pick them up for under $10. Cover parts with fondant or nestle it in florals. They fit perfectly on a small tier. It works wonders! Hope this helps!

Katiebelle74 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 5

I've alwaye wondered how all thos people on the cake competitions add motors and (larger than what your talking about) make the whole darn thing spin.

online_annie Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 10:39am
post #4 of 5

If you are wanting your whole cake to spin, you will need to search for a Heavy Duty Motorized turntable. Be sure to know the approx. weight of your cake... All turntables have a weight class the work within as well as speed. Some are slower or faster than other. Some can operate turning clockwise or counter clockwise. The heavy duty ones run a couple hundred dollars. I'm always on the look out for more.

UpAt2am Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:27am
post #5 of 5

yep, online_annie is right! hobby lobby sells a 7 inch in diameter, mirrored, holds up to 4 pounds, motorized turntable in the model cars aisle. it $20 without a coupon and operates off of C batteries i think. i recently used it in a cake to make the topper spin and it worked perfectly! i coverd the whole thing in one piece of fondant and then layers fondant waves over that. then i just cut a slit b/t the base and mirrored part of the turntable and voila! it spun icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%