Help - Chocolate Plastique

Baking By WenQuinn Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 8:39pm by BlakesCakes

WenQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WenQuinn Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 5

I am making daughters party cakes - made chocolate plastique - oops'ed and used candy melts instead of white chocolate - now it is too sticky & I cannot get it to firm up so I can roll it. ANY HELPS? Have about another day to figure this out, or have to throw out all materials & go another way icon_surprised.gif(

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 5

What recipe did you use?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 5

I've had luck re-melting modeling chocolate and then squeezing out most of the liquid, re-wrapping it, letting it rest overnight (or at least several hours), and then working it.

HTH
Rae

WenQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WenQuinn Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 5

I used a recipe out of a book called Party Cakes - i made the stock syrup, then made a white chocolate plastique. Basically - white chocolate, cocoa butter, corn syrup & stock syrup. I heated each individually as recipe said (different melting speeds & temperatures) then combined chocolate & coca butter. Combined corn syrup & stock then pured chocolate mixture into syrups. Was runny when poured into bag - has somewhat hardened but is very gooey & sticky

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 5

You've made the most difficult recipe for modeling chocolate--same thing as "plastique".

You can make it much more simply by melting 14 ounces of chocolate and then mixing in 1/3 cup of light corn syrup. Squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible, wrap, allow to rest overnight. When ready to use, microwave on 50% power for a few seconds and knead. Roll on cornstarch.

I have no earthly idea why you would need to add more cocoa butter to chocolate, white or otherwise, or even more "syrup"............sounds like a lot of work for a mess, to me. I can't see it ever being anything but a sticky mess.

Again, you may be able to re-heat it all to a liquid state and squeeze out most of the liquid. Another option is to melt more chocolate and add that to the re-heated mixture, squeeze, etc.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%