Icing That Doesnt Taste Like Shortening

Decorating By tabotha1 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm by cakeprof

tabotha1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabotha1 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 5

Hi. I am looking for a great tasting icing that does not have an over powering shortening and butter taste. Ive tried a few different once and cant get over the strong taste of shortening and butter. I would also like to have an icing that can hold its shape and is fluffy. Please help. Am I asking too much?? any suggestions would be great. thank so much.
Vicky

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 5

Have you tried the cooked icing? The IMBC or the SMBC?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 5

I can give you my recipe which is delicious...and I don't think tastes too 'buttery'. 8 ounces of real butter (salted), 8 ounces of cream cheese and 2 lbs of pure cane powdered sugar.
Beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy and slowly add the powdered sugar. That's it. While it has cream cheese in it, it doesn't taste necessarily like cream cheese frosting. The bakery I worked for used it and was the primary reason people loved their cake. I use it and get the same reaction.
It's rich though. HTH!

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabotha1

Hi. I am looking for a great tasting icing that does not have an over powering shortening and butter taste. Ive tried a few different once and cant get over the strong taste of shortening and butter. I would also like to have an icing that can hold its shape and is fluffy. Please help. Am I asking too much?? any suggestions would be great. thank so much.
Vicky

Under what conditions?

As to not tasting like shortening or butter it seems really the only way to accomplish this is by adding a fair amount of flavoring. Butter and shortening are just dominant flavors in buttercreams--there is just too much of them in them not to be. The best suggestion is to use one that masks those flavors.

If you have not done so you could give Indydeb's bc a try. Even though it is shortening based, it does not taste like shortening. I have made it a couple of times and it does not taste like shortening. That however is due to the Dream Whip that is in the recipe.

As to mergenue style buttercreams you will find folks here discussing the need to use a good amount of flavoring to cut the butter.

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabotha1

Vicky

Under what conditions?

As to not tasting like shortening or butter it seems really the only way to accomplish this is by adding a fair amount of flavoring. Butter and shortening are just dominant flavors in buttercreams--there is just too much of them in them not to be. The best suggestion is to use one that masks those flavors.

If you have not done so you could give Indydeb's bc a try. Even though it is shortening based, it does not taste like shortening. I do not like shortening based buttercreams and I did not find that it tasted like shortening--tasted more like whip cream. That however is due to the Dream Whip that is in the recipe.

As to mergenue style buttercreams you will find folks here discussing the need to use a good amount of flavoring to cut the butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%