How Do I Copy This Layered Effect

Decorating By mandirombold Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm by msauer

mandirombold Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride who realllllly wants a cake that has this layered sort of effect. I was thinking the how would I copy this effect with out layers building up to much fondant and without just cutting bands and having BC leak though. Help me plzzzz.

6 replies
alvarezmom Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 7

I looks like you could do strips of fondant over lapping each other? Starting from the bottom and working your way up. Lovely cake!

DianeLM Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 7

What alvarezmom said.

leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 7

Yep, I've done that cake three times. It's ribbons of fondant, and ribbons of fondant , and ribbons, and ribbons . . .

mandirombold Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 7

is the flare out on the ribbons just caused by the layer underneath. it almost seemed to be thinned out like with a ball tool and I was really hoping not to have to do that.

alvarezmom Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 7

I see what your saying mandirombold. It could be because of the fondant that would be undearneath each new "layer". You could get away weith not having to use the ball tool.

msauer Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 7

I have two cakes in my album (on the first page) that have this same layering although not done on every tier like your example. I did not have to use a ball tool. The ribbon of fondant just naturally sticks out a bit because of the layer of fondant underneath. The hardest part is the tops of the cakes when you have to cover it, have it hang over and cut a straight line (unless you don't put fondant on the tops and leave the buttercream show...could be far less work icon_lol.gif ).

Good luck with it. It's a beautfiul cake. Make sure you post your finished product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%