Pvc Glue

Decorating By iris219 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 9:40pm by iris219

iris219 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 3

I just came from Home depot getting a PVC pipe and PVC cement glue. I am making a tree cake, (for this Sunday) using an 8" round cake as the base with the PVC pipe in the center and a 6" round cake on top. The PVC pipe is going to be glued to a plastic cake board. I'm thinking the 8" cake will be placed on an 8" cake board and then placed on the plastic cake board.

My question is, how safe is this PVC cement to be around the cake? Do I need to air out the board once I apply the cement glue?

I plan to take saran wrap and wrap it around the PVC pipe so that I can place the cake through it, which will be covered in fondant as the tree trunk. The people at home depot state that once I use this cement glue the pvc pipe can never be taken off the plastic board. I like that idea because I don't want the cake to come off the board when you lift it.

If anyone has any suggestions or helpful tips on putting together a tree cake, can you please share your ideas? Thank you.

2 replies
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 3

once cured, the glue is food safe. has to be, otherwise could never drink the water the pipe normally carries.

will warn you -- work in a well ventilated area -- the fumes are a killer. better to work outside! an organic solvent grade respirator is also a good idea if can't get outside or in a well ventilated (you should feel a breeze and be up wind) area

so, yes, definitely let it "air out" until no fumes (ie glue fully cured)

and yes, it does "weld" the pieces together -- the bond is permanent.

DRY test fit everything first!!!!!!!! only when full satisfied with how it fits and looks should you start gluing.

HINT: at each joint make a mark that crosses the joint (pipe onto fitting) so you have an alignment reference and get it put back together correctly.

also, clean each joint first

then swab inside of fitting and outside of pipe with cement.

fit together using the mark(s) you've made.

work fast -- depending upon cement you have as little as 30 seconds before its locked tight.

iris219 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 3

sounds great, thank you Doug. Off to make my center on the plastic cake board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%