Looking For Ideas For "feet" On A Cake Board Base

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 4:33am by bmoser24

bmoser24 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any ideas how to dress up a cake board with feet? I like to have feet on mine, it helps to pick up and set down. I usually use scraps, double or triple and hot glue to the bottom. Not real cute, but then again you can't see them too easily.
I saw in a photo some cute "feet" added on, and it was soooo cute!
I looked at cabinet knobs, kinda expensive though. Any ideas?????

Thanks ~ Blessings
Blanche

8 replies
cakecraft Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 9

I have used wooden "balls" (with flat tops) and other wooden shapes (thick discs, hourglass shapes etc. found in the hobby section of my craft store. They are anywhere from .10 to $1 each. Just hot glue them to my cake board and voila. I used wooden discs on the cake in my avatar pic.

I have also used plastic furniture glides from the hardware store with wooden/sturdier cake boards. They come in a package of 4 and you hammer them in (the "nail" part is built in)

I am always on the lookout for these type of things. Things like empty thread spools, dollar store shot glasses etc. intrigue me, though I haven't tried them yet!

HTH

bmoser24 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 9

Ohhh, nice I like those ideas too. I was looking at those furniture glides and ends yesterday. Thanks! Now, off to the $$ store, I'm inspired.

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 9

I used some little wooden blocks I picked up at Michaels. I placed them back away from the edge of the board where you couldn't see them, so I wasn't worried abou tthe look fo them.

I want to say someone on here uses the plastic lids from bottles of cokes and water.

cheatize Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 9

I have a set of napkin rings that I plan on gluing to a piece of wood for a cake board. I also picked up clear plastic cylinders that look like they may have come off of a piece of furniture as they have screws in them. I plan on using them for feet, too.

leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #6 of 9

Do you use SPS? Yaknow how you have to pop off those plastic collars?

collars + hot glue = feet

marisab Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:52am
post #7 of 9

Not feet exactly but I glue a smaller (diameter) cake board to the underside of my base board. Makes it easy to get your fingers underneath to pick up the whole thing.

Lcubed82 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #8 of 9

I used wooden drawer knobs, with a double-ended bolt to attach to the bottom of my board.

bmoser24 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:33am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the suggestions! I looked at drawr knobs and still a little expensive for most ocassion cakes.($1 or more ea) I did find some different size styro balls at the dollar store, i painted them on toothpicks and then trimmed the tp and stuck into foam core board with hot glue. and they worked great. Held a tiered 10,8 in. Also...I was in church today, and after taking communion I noticed the cups were perfect size and shape. so i collected our row to take home and try out. LOL, crazy huh?? Happy hunting~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%