Grrrr!they All Sank And Shrunk Up!!

Baking By MommaDukes Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 2:41pm by cakesdivine

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 16

What did I do wrong?
I baked them on 325 for 20 minutes the cake tester came out clean.
24 sunken cupcakes, but ooo they taste good.
icon_cry.gif

15 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 16

What recipe did you use? Sunken centers are usually from too much sugar, or undercooked. Also opening the oven door too often can create sinkage. If you give us your recipe, maybe we can help.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 16

No clue--what recipe? What did you do once they came out of the oven... maybe too much fat in the recipe?

MommaDukes Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 16

I used a doctored box.
Duncan Hines red velvet, my cousin told me to add an extra egg + use milk instead of water.

I opend the doors 1 time.

kansaslaura Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 16

I'm bowing out of this thread beacuse, I don't like the way DH bakes up and never use them --but I wonder if the milk didn't play a part???

m420chelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m420chelle Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 16

Did they look all beautiful when you took them out and as they cooled, they sank? If so, I know with some mixes if you overmix it, they look beautiful when you take them out and then they sink in the middle. Maybe that is the problem?

MommaDukes Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 16

That's it! They were very pretty when I took them out of the oven.
I beat it on high for a few minutes, as Cuz says beat the daylights out of it.
But that's making a cake, I guess it's different with cuppies.

Oh, well they will get a little exta frosting. They are for the guys are my hubbies work and they are not picky. But, icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

MommaDukes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:39am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I'm bowing out of this thread beacuse, I don't like the way DH bakes up and never use them --but I wonder if the milk didn't play a part???

What do you use?
I am new to this and I am a mess in progress.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 16

I don't think you should every "beat the daylights" out of cake batter. I only use DH and mix as directed ...2 minutes. My cuppies are always perfect.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 16

I don't use a mix too often, but when i do I follow it to the letter. I don't even add anything to it. I don't have a favorite brand and the idea of a doctored cake mix scares me, and I do almost all my baking from scratch.

My theory is they have perfected that mix right down to the last molecule and baking time and mixing time. Why do I need to mess with it.

My guess is you either overmixed it or when you doctored it, you did something to the chemistry of the mix.

I know others on here have great success doctoring a mix, but I just won't tempt fate and try it.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 16

I have had this same thing happen to me! I hate it! It seems like such a waste. I have used both Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker. I personally like Duncan Hines better, I think they taste better and bake up better. I have found when made just as stated, they bake fine, once I add other things, all hell breaks loose! LOL!. The only recipe that is doctored that I have not had a problem with is the WASC cake. Obviously if I am only using extracts it works fine. I am not sure about substituting the liquids, I have done this but have had mixed results. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, and I have no explaination as to why! Does anyone else have advice!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 16

If you want to use a cake mix, the WASC and it's variations all bake up nice and delicious. See the attached google document for the combos
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs. And this is the thread that gives you lots of info about WASC:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554-.html

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 16

I never heard of beating the daylights out of cake batter before. you mix a batter to incorporate air in so batter can rise when baking because the air bubbles expand and burst. When you mix too much and too fast it causes weak bubbles that can burst before batter has time to rise there for the center may collapse.

It's just an idea of what may happen...I heard of this somewhere and I may not have it all down correctly, but the idea is never over mix of mix batter like a maniac. Good thing its cake mix or it might come out like a pound cake or much worst.

Dont worry you learn from your mistakes...I used to think that more I mix the smoother the cake will come out...yeah, hahaha that was long time ago when I first started. Not that I'm a pro but better than before.*

kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 16

Overmixing will kick the gluten into gear and cause it to be tough too..

MommaDukes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:18am
post #15 of 16

Thanks for all the input. I just took some out of the oven that I made with left over batter from a recipe I got from the Cake Boss (the real cake boss)
It's alot like WASC. White Velvet Wedding Cake. So far they have not fallen.

I will try these others. I just did a post for Cup Cake Challenge. A challenge from someone where my DH works.

Thanks Again!!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 16

Yes for cuppies follow the mix directions to a "T". If doing a cake that you need to stack tiers or carve for 3D cakes then you do want to over activate the gluten to give it a bit more density to hold up. In a cake it won't sink, but for some strange reason in the cuppie they will and then will be somewhat tough as KL said. Tough and cuppied don't mix...LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%