Can You Revive Gimpaste If It Is Crumbling And Cracking ?

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 5:41pm by TexasSugar

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 5

Im making my first bow and made my own gumpaste . GP felt good and plyable rolled it out and went to pinch ends together and it just crumbled icon_sad.gif did I work to much cornstarch in it from my work table ? can I work crisco into it to revive it icon_sad.gif ? HELP PLZ!

4 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 5

You should be able to. Sometimes, it takes quite a bit. Just put some shortening on your hands and go for it. You won't lose anything by trying.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 5

It depends. If it has dried bits in it, it wont work well because no matter what you put in it, it will have that gritty feeling to it. If its just dry feeling then you can add crisco and work it a bit and it should revive it some. You can also add some fondant to it and it will make it less dry.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you icon_smile.gif Im going for it ....Your so right I have nothing to lose! This BOW is way harder than it looks icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 5

Also with gumpaste you have to work pretty quickly or it will dry out. Especially if you are working near a fan or under an AS vent.

When I am making bow loops, no matter if I am using fondant/gumpaste blend or just gumpaste, I only roll out small amounts of fondant at a time, say enough for 8-10 looks, rather than a big amount that will sit and dry while I am forming the other loops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%