Chocolate Fondant Has No Elasticity?

Baking By lttlnutter Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm by catlharper

lttlnutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lttlnutter Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 6

So i made chocolate mmf two nights ago, all was good and i was excited. I coated it with some shortening then wrapped in 3 times in saran wrap and put it in an airtight container. The next day i took it out and started kneading it...

Well it barely had any elasticity so i added more corn syrup, it got sticky so i decided it didn't need powdered sugar and used a little shortening. Then i added more corn syrup, then some powdered sugar. And this doctoring went on for about an hour and a half.

I was finally able to roll it out into a flat sheet, then i tried to pick it up onto the rolling pin, and it crumbled as soon as i pulled it from the table.

Then i cried, then i threw it away. Then i left the table for a few hours, forgetting my cake was still sitting on the table where it was before to unthaw.

I come back into the kitchen and a single cockroach was running all over my cake. I had a little mental breakdown and threw the cake away.

Now this morning im trying to figure out what i did wrong with the fondant?? I think i may have not added enough marshmallows :-/

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't worked with MMF but I want to say that glycerine is what helps add the elasticity to fondant. I could be wrong there, but you may want to look it up and see.

lttlnutter Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 6

there was no glycerin int eh recipe, i am so used to making by scratch fondant, but i discovered that mmf is easier especially with my small kitchen.

it didn't even cross my mind to add glycerin though, i might have to try that the next time. i still have half of the fondant left over that i kept greased and wrapped.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 6

How did you make your MMF chocolate? I add in 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of cocoa powder in place of powdered sugar (same amount) and it turns out great...no real change from MMF in consistancy at all. When you took it out the next day did you microwave it a bit before you started kneading? I know that even if my MMF has been left to room temp all night that I still need to warm it up a bit before kneading. After that it's just adding a bit of crisco to it.

Cat

ps...yup, the roach would have sent me over the edge too! (((HUG)))

lttlnutter Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 6

i forgot allll about the microwaving too. i forgot that the last time i used this recipe i had a microwave available. unfortunately i do not have a microwave. maybe ill get on this friday on payday haha

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 6

For MMF a microwave is a great tool. Otherwise you have to let it sit out for about 48 hours to soften up and then kneading is literally a pain. Or you can microwave for about 30 secs to a minute and be ready to knead it easily. So, yup, I'd recommend getting a small one<G>

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%