Non-Perishable Filling Suggestions?

Decorating By jess605 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm by jess605

jess605 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making 2-tier a chocolate cake with Indydebi's buttercream frosting. Looking for some ideas for easy non-perishable fillings. Nutella has been suggested, but I'm not a fan of it. I'm considering just using the buttercream for some of the layers and a chocolate version of it for others. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome! THanks!

5 replies
bakingpw Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

Jam: raspberry is one of my "go to's", but really any flavor.

jess605 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 6

Just regular Jam? That is a good ideaicon_smile.gif It doesn't have to be refrigerated, correct?

Also, about how thick of a layer should I be spreading between layers of cake? Do i need to do a thin layer of buttercream and then jam and then buttercream so it doesn't soak into the cake? OR, should I just use the jam by itself?

THanks!

ddaigle Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 6

I've heard peanut butter is great with chocolate cake. THink there are some in the recipe section. Also, any fudge, or ganache would by yummy!

mandyloo Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 6

This has been my go to filling ever since I came across the recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5773/oreo-filling

99% of the time I don't use oreos in it and just make it plain, but I've used several other types of cookies (graham crackers, nilla wafers, etc) and everyone always loves it.

jess605 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 6

The oreo filling looks yummy!! How thick should this be spread between the layers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%