Newbee Question

Decorating By heroes Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 11:42am by odish

heroes Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:32am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone my name is Karen, I live in the UK, Im really new to this cake decorating, im not a proffesional but have found out Im quite good at it and enjoy doing it as a hobby, My question is, what is the name of the foam blocks you use as dummy bases, and where can I get them from? xx

6 replies
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:34am
post #2 of 7

Hi Karen,

I get my dummies at a cake decorating supply store. I'm sure if you find a shop near you, they would most likely carry it.

catsmum Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:42am
post #3 of 7

Hi Karen where in the UK are you? All the cake decorating websites carry these dummies of all shapes and sizes and I guess they all do mail order. I live in Buckinghamshire and use for all my supplies.

heroes Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:54am
post #4 of 7

Thankyou Rylan and catsmum, I live in Birmingham UK, we do have a cake supply stored nearby but to be honest I was trying to find a cheaper way of buying or making a dummy, thankyou for your replies xx

catsmum Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:02am
post #5 of 7

If you are just going to be using them for practice they wouldn't work out too expensive as you can just peel off your fondant and wash them then reuse them. Some people cover them with cling film before covering.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:56am
post #6 of 7

Like catsmum can re use the dummies. I brush on a thin coat of shortening before covering with fondant. It helps the fondant adhere to the dummy plus it make it easier to remove.

odish Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:42am
post #7 of 7

Hi Karen,
I'm in Ireland but order stuff I need from in the London. Their prices are good but their shipping rate for me is excellent so I get great value. Worth a look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%