Mmf Cutouts

Decorating By dmo4ab Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 1:20pm by FlourPots

dmo4ab Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:13am
post #1 of 5

First of all - a huge shout out and "thank you" to the entire CC gang. I've learned so much here in the past year of so, and though my cakes are a far cry from the skill of many here, they are definetly improving!

I like working with MMF because people actually can tolerate eating it and it doesn't break my hobby baker budget. I mostly use it as accents on top of buttercream. My flaw is in getting nice, smooth cut edges. I've noticed they are perfect when using a cutter, so I'm definetly trying to build my stock of those. But, when I have to free hand something, say a zebra stripe pattern, it just looks too jagged and raw on the bottom of the cut edge. I usually use a knife or exacto. Any help?

4 replies
dsilvest Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #2 of 5

Try a pizza cutter or a smaller fabric cutter.

dguerrant Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:50am
post #3 of 5

i use a good sturdy pizza cutter, one that's not wobbly for sutting stripes, waves, zebra stripes, etc... to cut other stuff, i use an exacto knife and spray or dip the blade in a bit of oil. also, let the rolled out fondant sit for 10-15 minutes to firm up or even longer if needed. this helps to keep it from streching and distorting. I hope this helps you, also check your blade and make sure it is sharp and clean, any little piece of dried fondant or anything will keep it from cutting smoothly.

dmo4ab Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely give these a try!

FlourPots Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 5

Regular sharp scissors work really well too...and
this tool is awesome to scrape fondant off of your x-acto blade...I use the flat side:

Quote by @%username% on %date%