Need Help Fast! Fondant 3D Numbers For Top Of Cake Won't Dry

Decorating By mustangsallii Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 6:41pm by JS605

mustangsallii Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:22am
post #1 of 12

I have to deliver a cake Thursday afternoon in which the client asked for "30" to be put on the top of a two tier cake. She wants them standing vertical not horizontal to the top of the cake. I rolled out fondant into a long cylinder shape and sculpted very pretty numbers. It doesn't seem like they're drying at all! Even though I have another day and a half for them to dry I'm terrified they won't. Any suggestions/advice you have would be great. If you have a fail proof alternative to fondant numbers please share! Thanks!

11 replies
milmil95 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 12

I suggest you remake the numbers in gumpaste. You'll have much better results and it dries faster.
Fondant can take up to a week to dry if it's rolled thickly.
Good lukc and hope this helps!

mbark Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 12

I had my fondant numbers topper break just a couple hours before the customer was to pick-up the cake, so I glued them together with a touch of water and then really glued the back of them to white lollipop sticks using candy melts, which stuck into the cake. I wanted them to look free-standing (originally had floral wire in the bottoms) but this worked for the last-minute situation I was in

CWR41 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:40am
post #4 of 12

You can direct a fan on them, or put them in your oven overnight with the light on only. If you choose the oven option, be sure to write a warning note on a Stick-it that says "L@@K inside before preheating" so you don't lose your work if someone decides to use the oven without peeking inside first!

Molly2 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:55am
post #5 of 12

Remake them with gum paste mixed with tylose powder then put them in the oven over night with just the oven light on by morning pull them out and let the sit they will be ready by the time you deliver your cake I use thick gage floral wire

Molly

dguerrant Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:08am
post #6 of 12

use a dehydrator if you have one, or can get your hands on one. i take a small sheet of waxed paper big enough for the item to fit on, spray it with pam, put it in and let 'er go

all4cake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:19am
post #7 of 12

If at all possible, take the advice given by previous posters and remake them using gumpaste or at least a blend.

Below can be done with fondant, gumpaste, or combination.

I place mine on cs dusted parchment that's laid on top of a cake circle. Place in microwave for 4-5 seconds for straight fondant. Take out of microwave and allow to cool completely (30-60 minutes ...less than that if you can place them in front of a fan or a/c). Repeat until hard. If you can have another dusted piece of parchment and cake circle ready, after it's cooled from the first microwave session, place them on top of the numbers and flip...remove first parchment and circle before heating again(this helps to insure they dry evenly).

auntiecake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:35am
post #8 of 12

If the numbers or whatever is made out of fondant w/no tylose or gumtex won't it get soft again when placed in icing. This happend to me once. I am guessing that is why it happened. The stick or wire would help prevent this. Can this happen w/gumpaste also if there is no support????

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:54am
post #9 of 12

Place them in the oven with the oven light on. Try to place them in the corner closest to the light.

mustangsallii Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks guys for the responses! I'll let you know how it turns out!

mustangsallii Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 12

I've got my fingers crossed! They were in the oven for 10 hours last night and now they're sitting out on the counter. I have a back up plan if it didn't work, but they letters I made are so pretty I hope it works!

JS605 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 12

question?

When you make the letters out of gumpaste.. is there suppose to be wire inside to keep its shape or to keep it standing up?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%