Everything Has Gone Wrong...need Help!

Decorating By jerseygirlNga Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 2:56am by all4cake

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:46am
post #1 of 4

Everything has gone wrong today...started with baking the wrong size cake. Was planning on doing a 12" and an 8." I baked a 10"...no biggie, this is for a friend of a friend and they wanted to feed 25-30. Its close so I'm not worried.

Then, the neighbors child was sent over to borrow...no problem, except their child accidentally let my dog out and her dog in. In restoring order, I knocked the 8" off the cooling rack. So, I rebaked! Thats just the half of it...you really don't want to know about the layer that I rebaked because I forgot to put sugar... Like I said...everything has gone wrong. So here are my questions...I'm not taking any chances and want to rely on my support system here on CC.

To get the height needed on the 10" layer, I needed 3 layers. All are torted. Can I stack ALL on one cake board? I know its said to only go 4 high...BUT...if I use a dowel? I will need to transport about 25 miles.

I assume now that my 8" will need the same height so would I center dowel?

Now...I just got a call from the person expecting these cakes...she decided to change filling and I'm okay with that since I hadn't made the SMBC yet. She wants me to use a ganache under the fondant. I've read on here that that is possible but isn't it a waste? No one will see the 'nice and shiney chocolate!" The last time I did a ganache...I screwed it up but thanks to CC people...I was told how to correct. Do I still use the 2:1 ratio when the fondant will cover over?

I know...lots of questions...I'm sorry but I am wiped out and can't rely on my own thought process. Send Help!

3 replies
kaseysweetkissbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseysweetkissbakery Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 4

You may want to use a hair more chocolate so its a thicker consistency...

As for the cake stacking...I dont wanna say do it and then you have issues in transport. I HATE delivering I am usually a hot mess the entire time and by the time I get to where I am going I look like I was hit by a car... LOL! However, I just did a cake that was in the shape of spongebobs house. I used one hard plastic cakeboard and it was 6- 8 inch round cakes all torted with filling. But to be safe I used 3 dowels in a triangular formation to ensure stability.

Hope everything goes okay!
Good Luck!!!!

Kasey

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 4

You can safely go up that 6" without having to dowel. You probably only need to make the 8" 2 layers. The smaller the diamitor(sp??) the taller it looks so an 8x4 will look almost the same as the 10x6.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 4

3 layers can be done without boarding between only if you can allow plenty of time for the assembled, crumbcoated cake to settle before finishing then, possibly additional time for settling after it has been covered in fondant. (if you did board, I'd split the height evenly...like, if they're 2 inch layers that you plan on torting, 3, 1/2 layers of cake-dowel, board-three, 1/2 layers of cake).

The 8" doesn't HAVE to be the same height. Whether you decide to do it the same height or not, I would center dowel. Be sure you have a nice, sturdy drum base.

I've not used the ganache under fondant. So, I'm no help there.

I'm terribly slow at responding. All these questions may be answered by the time I click submit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%