My Stupid Cake Rant (Kinda Long)

Decorating By VentureSister Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 2:39am by VentureSister

VentureSister Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #1 of 9

So I have to cake projects this weekend. One is a cake for a friend and the other is a birthday cake for my dad. I like to bake the cakes ahead of time (when I can) and freeze them to make things easier. After a rough day at my day job, I was looking forward to baking away my stress. Even had some new cake pans that I was going to use. It is my own fault. I know the oven is a bit weird. But stupid me went ahead and put two cakes side by side in the oven and set the timer. Long story short - burnt the crap out of both the cakes. Not only that but the new cake pans have a weird stain now that won't scrub off. CRAP!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif So after trying to calm down, started over. Have the new cake (one at a time this time) in the oven. Just had to vent. Am going to make a stiff drink. Should feel better soon. If this next batch burns am going to cry though. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

8 replies
smokeysmokerton Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:05am
post #2 of 9

Sorry you're having so much trouble, but believe me, I know how you feel. I'm sure this one will turn out fine and you'll be back on track.

VentureSister Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #3 of 9

Thanks. Pulled out the first cake and it looks perfect. Thankfully. Have thn e second one in now. Keeping my fingers crossed. At least my cat didn't try to eat it. That happened once before and had to stay up late that night doing another. After that the cats get locked up before I even start to think about baking. icon_cool.gif

DarleneP Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #4 of 9

So you shouldn't bake two cakes at once? I am confused. Also a newbie so pardon my stupidity. I just always have baked two 8 or 9 inch rounds in an oven without a problem so what do I need to know-is there some kind of rule of thumb?

VentureSister Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of 9

I have baked 2 at a time with no problems. We moved to a new place and this oven sucks. Haven't been able to talk the landlord into a new one yet. Not quite sure there is a rule. I think you should go with what works for you.

4realLaLa Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #6 of 9

I, also bake two cakes with no problems. I stay in the kitchen when I'm baking. I either clean the mess I just made, and/or make my icing, and prepare my cake board.

Sorry you had to do a re-bake though.

VentureSister Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #7 of 9

I usually stay in the kitchen too. Even with the timer set, I normally check on my cakes as they cook to monitor. Guess was just juggling too many things and not paying enough attention. icon_sad.gif
But alls well that ends well. If this is the worst that happens to me this week, I'll be good.

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:22am
post #8 of 9

Are you baking at the temp in the directions (recipe or box) and for the time stated (recipe or box)? If so, I say that's your problem! icon_biggrin.gif

I view temps and times in recipes/boxes as "merely suggestions!" If it says bake at 350 for 40 minutes, I bake at 325 for 30 minutes and check it. I never use a timer except to remind me of something (put can of coke in freezer; set timer for 30 minutes; remove can of coke from freezer before it explodes). The cake is done when I can smell it.

I have a relative who always goes by the recipe and she's always complaining that her cookies are too crunchy and her cakes are overbaked. When I tell her she's baking them too long, she cries, "But I went by the directions!" to which I reply, "And how's that workin' for ya!?" icon_confused.gif

VentureSister Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:39am
post #9 of 9

Indydebi- Looking back I think that you are right. It was a new recipe. Usually until I get the recipe down, I keep a really close eye on it. Didn't apparentally this time. I also have to factor in the oven. Will be more attentive. The good news is the redos turned out really well.
Thank you guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%