Dry Cupcakes

Baking By Eva2 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm by LindaF144a

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:09am
post #1 of 10

When I make cupcakes with a box mix, they come out nice and moist, but when I make them from scratch they seem to be coming out dry. Am I over baking or is there something that I should be adding?

9 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 10

When you bake the homemade recipe into a cake, how does it turn out? Maybe you're baking the cupcakes too long??

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva2

When I make cupcakes with a box mix, they come out nice and moist, but when I make them from scratch they seem to be coming out dry. Am I over baking or is there something that I should be adding?

Well sort of begs the question of whether or not you have a good scratch recipe. Have seen this before in box v scratch discussions. There are numerous scratch recipes some very good, some okay, many not so good.

Also keep in mind that scratch cake recipes do not necessarily translate well to cupcakes. A really good scratch cake recipe could produce mediocre cupcakes.

Without knowing the recipe it would be hard to diagnose why it would be producing dry cupcake.

lisamaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamaria Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 10

That must be the problem I had tonight! I made a cake recipe into cupcakes and they did NOT turn out well. I was disappointed!!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:34am
post #5 of 10

I have to partly disagree with the statement that a cake recipe cannot be a cupcake recipe. It depends actually.

If you can post the recipe and how you mixed it, then a better guess can be made. But more than likely the first main reason why cupcakes are dry is overbaking, There is a very fine line between baked and overbaked. Sometimes as little as 30 seconds depending on your oven.

Which brings up another question, what temp oven did you use?

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 9:12am
post #6 of 10

I baked them at 350

LindaF144a Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:26am
post #7 of 10
Quote:

I baked them at 350

Without knowing the recipe nor the process for mixing it, I have to agree with the others that you are baking them too long.

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:26am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprof

Quote:

Well sort of begs the question of whether or not you have a good scratch recipe. Have seen this before in box v scratch discussions. There are numerous scratch recipes some very good, some okay, many not so good.

Also keep in mind that scratch cake recipes do not necessarily translate well to cupcakes. A really good scratch cake recipe could produce mediocre cupcakes.

Without knowing the recipe it would be hard to diagnose why it would be producing dry cupcake.

Cakeprof - I have to apologize. You are right, not every cake recipe can be used as a cupcake recipe. I was not thinking this morning when I said that. And in going over my notes to continue on my research for a vanilla cupcake I found the same statement I had wrote to myself. I think I got it wrong because when I have a cupcake fail, it is usually because the cupcake is too moist, not dry.

I just wanted to clear that up and say thank you for reminding me.

Back to my research.....

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #9 of 10

It could be the recipes that you are using, you can find great tasting and moist cupcake recipes on the Martha Stewart cupcake book. I love that book and I highly recommend it!

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm
post #10 of 10

I'm going to have to revisit that book. Unfortunately I read on several blogs where the recipes are not always working out, so I shied away from it. I do have a few of them that have been posted on the internet. Thanks for the positive review.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%