What's The Proper Way? (Fondant)

Decorating By Chibikuma Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 5:52am by Chibikuma

Chibikuma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chibikuma Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 4

I'm still fairly new to doing fondant cakes... I think I've only made 5 so far, and my last one seem to crack a bit on the corners. My main question is, what's the best or proper way to roll out fondant? Back in culinary school they told us to dust the table with icing sugar. But they always seem to dry up real fast, so I tried greasing the table with shortening instead and no sticking at all, but seem to still crack a little when it's on the cake at the sharp edges.

I have yet to try homemade MMF but have been using ready to use ones. So far Satin Ice seem to dry up faster than Wilton's.... Anyone heard or tried a brand called Virgin? I've seen them at bulk barn here in Canada but never tried it yet.

3 replies
hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 4

Try kneading it more before rolling it out. I know I have found if I have a cracking issue...it's generally due to not kneading it enough. The majority of the time I use cornstarch to roll out my fondant. But, if using my mat, I don't need anything. I have also used Pam spray on my stainless steel counters...that works too.
Just keep practicing and you will find what works best for you. Everybody is different.

BethEK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethEK Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #3 of 4

I live in Canada and I've used the Virgin Ice brand available at Bulk Barn. It is a very soft fondant and it is easy to work with. I like it better than the Wilton fondant and I have never had any cracking when using Virgin Ice.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Chibikuma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chibikuma Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:52am
post #4 of 4

Oh that's great to hear! I'm definitely gonna give Virgin a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%