Lactose Free Cake

Baking By Mom_Of_4 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 1:20am by heavenlycakedreamer

Mom_Of_4 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there I had a friend ask me if I can make a lactose free cake with icing.
So if anyone has a recipe or recipes they would like to share with me I would really appreciate it!

TIA

8 replies
ptanyer Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 9

Here's my post in another thread a couple of months ago:

My boss's youngest daughter has peanut and dairy allergies. I have been working with him on ingredients that can be used in my effort to make a cake for his family that all members can eat with absolutely no peanuts, nuts and dairy. I use a pound cake recipe and substitute dairy free butter and soy milk or soy coffee creamer for the milk. That's all I have to substitute. I haven't made a chocolate cake for her yet because all of the cocoa and chocolate available in stores locally are manufactured in facilities that process nuts/and or dairy. Even Bettercreme, which is labeled as non-dairy has milk products in it. I know from experience with this family that the slightest contamination of any nut/dairy could kill this child.

If you are going to bake in this manner, you have to read every label and every ingredient on everything you are using. And you wouldn't think it necessary to repeat this process once you found items you could safely bake with, but manufacturers change things all the time and one time it's safe and one time it's no longer safe.

I use Sugarshacks' recipe for buttercream and can use Crisco, confectioner's sugar, flavoring and substitute soy milk creamer (just heat it up like she does her water and powdered creamer).

You can also use non-dairy yogurt in place of sour cream.

Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

Mom_Of_4 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 9

Hmm very interesting. I do not know that I want to have to worry about it. If something were to happen to the child I would feel terrible. Of course it is just a dairy allergy this child has, so that may not be as big of a deal as a nut allergy. But still I do not know if I want the added stress. Thanks for the insight!

ptanyer Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:23am
post #4 of 9

I'm glad I could help icon_smile.gif I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I had six pound cakes baked in bundt pans (2 plain, 2 glazed and 2 lightly decorated) and a carrot cake this week and that is way more than I normally do (and work full time too icon_wink.gif ).

Take care,
Pam

emkosztka Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:34am
post #5 of 9

i did a cake for my godson earlier this year that had to be dairy and gluten free. i found i used a recipe that was based on a sugar syrup rather than a creamed butter and sugar and i used a canola spread ( dairy free spread) as a replacement. i also found that rice milk is sweeter and not so overpowering in flavour as the soy.
i would check if its an anaphalaxys reaction to the dairy before completely saying no. there are lots of dairy free options out there to look at icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 9

lactose free -
Cocunut milk
Almond milk
Soy milk

shortenening in the buttercream instead of butter.

The best way to find substitutes is to check out the vegan recipes. They are free of anything from animals, therefore no lactose either. I find I like coconut milk over soy milk. And I haven't tried almond milk yet.

And cocunut milk does not leave an aftertaste of coconut either.

lildivadesi Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #7 of 9

you could probably even use lactaid free milk. im lactose intolerant and that is what i drink. so im sure you could use it for cake(:

MJ2008 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #8 of 9

My MIL is allergic to dairy and I make her birthday cake every year. For your frosting use shortening instead of butter and either water or soy milk instead of milk. For the cake, I've found that it's easier to find a dairy free chocolate recipe. I found one that didn't have butter or shortening and just replaced the milk with an equal amount of soy milk and there were no problems.

Check the ingredients on whatever you use carefully. Just because it says lactose free doesn't mean it doesn't have anything else. Whey and casseinate (sp?) are both proteins found in dairy that can still cause an allergic reaction (those are the two my MIL is allergic to).

heavenlycakedreamer Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:20am
post #9 of 9

My daughter can't have eggs, gluten, dairy(or any derivative) or nuts...
Here's a recipe I modified from a cookbook I have for chocolate cake (you could use regular flour and eggs if you are doing it for someone with only a dairy allergy):

Allergen free Chocolate Cake (adapted from p. 174 of Cooking Free, By Carol Fenster)

Ingredients:
1 ¼ cups of any blend of gluten free flours (I prefer doing half white rice flour and half Bobs Red Mill gluten free flour blend as they are readily available at Publix)
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp xanthan gum (if not in the organics section at store should be available at your health food store)
1 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsps vanilla extract
½ cup of rice or soy milk
½ cup of butter flavor Crisco
Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with water equal to one egg (as directed on package)
¾ cup of warm coffee or warm water (110 degrees)

1)  Preheat oven to 350. Grease pans or prepare cupcake tins. (Should make one single layer 9 inch or 8 inch cake. Double recipe to make 2 layer cake but increase baking soda to 1 ¼ tsp if doubled)
2)  Cream butter flavor Crisco and brown sugar. Prep egg replacer in a small bowl and add all wet ingredients into creamed sugar mixture. Mix on low until combined. Add dry ingredients in 2 parts and mix until blended. Pour into prepared pan; bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting.

For dairy free buttercream (Taken from Wiltons dairy free suggested recipe):

1 cup of Crisco
1 tsp of vanilla
½ tsp of butter flavor (available at craft store that sells cake supplies or order online at Wilton.com)
4 cups of powder sugar (name brands work best)
4 tbsp of rice milk or soymilk
Light corn syrup as needed

Cream Crisco and flavors. Add powder sugar 1 cup at a time. Mixture will be dry. Add milk 1 tbsp at a time. If icing seems to thick to spreadadd more rice milk or soy milk 1 tbsp at a time or add 1 tbsp of light corn syrup to thin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%