Florida Bakers Renting Commercial Kitchen

Business By sechrestloans Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 2:01am by sechrestloans

sechrestloans Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 6

I am in the process of having the state come out and inspect. The commercial kitchen I am renting says the state requires me to rent the kitchen for at least 8 hours a month whether I use it or not, or my license will be revoked. I cannot find this information anywhere online at the Dept. of Agriculture. Can anyone confirm this wih me. I am trying to make sure the kitchen isnt trying to rip me off. It is pretty much the only one in town and it will be at least $125 a month. That will probably take all the profit I will make in a month at this point. I am begining to think this is not worth it???????
If this is not the case does anyone know of rental kitchens in the pinellas?pasco county area? Thank you!

5 replies
Totally-Frosted Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 6

I would like to know this information as well since I am looking into starting a cupcake business here also. I will be checking with a nearby restaurant to speak with them about renting their facility when they're not using it. Thanks in advance!

Veronica

sechrestloans Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 6

where are you located? my brother used to own a restaurant here and I just left him a message to see if he knows any restaurants willing to do this also. I found one place in Largo Pro Ktchen, it is $50 non refundable app fee, $250 deposit and the first 8 hours up front of $125, then it is $125 per month after that for my 8 hour quota. When I called the state they never mentioned anything about that 8 hour requirement. so im trying to see if anyone here that rents kitchens out has to do this also. I literally make maybe 1-2 cakes a month at this point so if I am not profiting anything why am I doing this? I dont have the money to waste every month at this point.

Sweet_Guys Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 6

We rented a space in downtown Orlando and there was no state requirement....It also doesn't sound like they're ripping you off...Rather, they're setting the minimum that they are willing to rent the place to you.

Paul

Jennzoe333 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 6

I agree that it sounds like the minimum they are willing to rent it to you for per month. I don't have a minimum number of hours where I lease, but do have a minimum dollar amount also, but there is no regulation I'm aware of in regards to licensing, but I could be wrong.

Also, in South Florida, I know I do WAY better than $125 on any given cake, so you should be fine if you set your prices correctly!

Best of luck to you!

sechrestloans Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 6

thank you all, I agree it is not a bad price, it just made me upset that she stated it was a Florida requirement, not her requirement. If she was honest, I probably wouldnt have a problem with this, but since she wasnt, it makes me weary... She did state that if she didnt see me in there 8 hours a month the state would revoke my license. I dont really have a choice though. she is pretty much the only game in town... I dont have that much business at this point but im hoping it will change soon icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%