Real Lilies

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm by honeyscakes

THECAKEPLACE Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 11

Can I put real lilies on a cake? Would it be safe if I Wrapped them them put the in a cake flower holder?

10 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 11

From what I remember lilies are a toxic. I would suggest gumpaste flowers instead.

THECAKEPLACE Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 11

Can I wrap them?

PiccoloChellie Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by THECAKEPLACE

Can I wrap them?




I wouldn't risk it. All parts, including petals, of many lily varieties are poisonous/toxic. Wrapping the stems doesn't guarantee other parts of the plant won't touch the cake.

BlueBirdBakery Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 11

I have been a florist for 20 years before making the switch to cakes. When I decorated cakes with fresh flowers, I only used food service sticks or dowels to insert into the cake. Sometimes I would ask the decorator to give me a little "dollop" of frosting where the flowers were to be placed, then I would barely insert the stem into this "extra" frosting. That way when they go to cut the cake, the flower (as well as the extra frosting) could be removed before serving. Hope this helps.

KoryAK Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 11

I think regular lilies are non toxic, I know that calla lilies ARE toxic

THECAKEPLACE Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you everyone

jones5cm Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 11

Does anyone have an example/story of a guest becoming sick/affected from toxic flowers on a cake? I'm just curious...i've never heard one myself and it seems to me that with the popular trend of fresh flowers on cakes, there'd be an example.

tesso Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 11

Okay..lets get the known facts down for you...

Stargazer lilies are toxic to CATS. and some varieties to DEER. The bulbs are poisonous to some some animals and is thought to cause diarhrrea and stomach cramps in humans. so dont use bulbs.

Because many flowers are sprayed with insecticide, you want to make sure they are not placed in the cake without a barrier between them. Unless you have a source of flowers that are not produced by a company that sprays them. Some flowers you can actually wash, and others you cant. Lilies dont wash well.

I would suggest using a posey pick, just to keep them contained and clean. you can buy those flower sticks online at wilton, or at a local florist. MAKE SURE THEY ARE CLEAN and STERILIZED.

YOu should not wrap the flowers with foral tape due to latex and anaphalactic shock. You never know when someone will be allergic and you also dont want to take the chance. Plus the tape would get all icky. You can however, insert the flower into a straw filled with icing and insert the straw into the cake.

There are some facts for you, the flowers are an option, if you take precautions. However, most people decide to just put artifical or sugarflowers on thier cake instead to make it simple.

I love using fresh flowers on cakes and have taken to doing LOTS of research on flowers and WHICH part of the plant is toxic.

One of the best placed to find out about plants and toxins is a poison center http://www.aapcc.org/dnn/default.aspx.

What we offer on here is advice based on our own experiences and our own research. ALWAYS follow up with your own "reputable" source of info when it comes to toxins. thumbs_up.gif

tesso Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I think regular lilies are non toxic, I know that calla lilies ARE toxic




I thought you might like to know why they (calla lilies) are poisonous. (I know I am a flower geek! icon_biggrin.gif ) I find plants/flowers fascinating.

Oxalates: The juice or sap of these plants contains microscopic oxalate crystals. Oxalate crystals are shaped like tiny needles. Chewing these plants may result in pain and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue. In severe cases, swelling of the throat may cause breathing difficulties.

honeyscakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I think regular lilies are non toxic, I know that calla lilies ARE toxic



I thought you might like to know why they (calla lilies) are poisonous. (I know I am a flower geek! icon_biggrin.gif ) I find plants/flowers fascinating.

Oxalates: The juice or sap of these plants contains microscopic oxalate crystals. Oxalate crystals are shaped like tiny needles. Chewing these plants may result in pain and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue. In severe cases, swelling of the throat may cause breathing difficulties.



icon_eek.gif tesso!!!!! I am on my knees bowing to you!!! haha!
I love Callas and have many many different colored Callas and Oriental lilies growing in my yard but never knew this much about them icon_biggrin.gif
THANKS!!! thumbs_up.gif
-h

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%