What Is The Best Way To Get "shimmer" On Fondant

Decorating By apieceofcake-dolores Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 3:15am by apieceofcake-dolores

apieceofcake-dolores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apieceofcake-dolores Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making an ivory colored fondant cake....whats the best way and best product to get it really shimmery? All I have avaliable locally is Wilton products...but still have time to order something. Thanks!

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 8

I use Americolor Pearl sheen airbrush on all my cakes...Very nice...If you don't have an airbrush you can buy PME canned Lustre Pearl spray.It smells divine..Like Cotton Candy!!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 8

I also use Americolor Pearl airbrush. Great effect. I used to brush with Wilton luster dust pearl before I had an airbrush. Just brush on dry with a large soft brush (like a blush brush, new of course).

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 8

Fondant source sell fondant glaze for 2.49 a jar. You just paint on with a brush let dry and add additional coats if necessary. I love the pearl glaze and the silver. The pearl can be colored any color using gel coloring. Only takes a little color to go along way.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 8

You can try lustre dust and brush it on with a large, clean makeup brush. Williams-Sonoma just came out with a pearlized lustre spray, also. I haven't tried it yet but it looks nice on cakes from the pics I have seen.

HTH

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 8

Spray it with the pearl spray (Wilton sells one too) and then while tacky, sprinkle disco dust all over the cake. Great shimmery effect.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 8

I use the Wilton luster dust and I pour it in a small dish then use a makeup brush(from $ Tree) and dry dust it on the fondant. The pearl dust is really pretty on white or ivory fondant.

apieceofcake-dolores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apieceofcake-dolores Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:15am
post #8 of 8

thanks guys!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%