Will I Reallly Get Sharp Corners??

Decorating By TrixieTreats Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 4:43pm by tonedna

TrixieTreats Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Friends...I need your advice.

I will be needing to purchase a full set of square pans. I have a couple of Fat Daddio's square pans (and other shapes for that matter) which I am very happy with, but have read here that many of you prefer Magic Line for your square pans due to the sharper corners.

I am debating whether or not to complete my existing set with Fat Daddio's pans or if I should spring for a whole new set of Magic Line.

Here is my main question:

UNDER FONDANT....will the Magic Line sharp corners help me achieve a crisper square, or will it end up rounded anyway like Fat Daddio's corners under the weight of the fondant? i.e. Do the Magic Line sharp corners even make a difference when the cake is covered in fondant?

My secondary question is...

What techniques do you use to get sharp(er)/Crisper corners and edges on your fondant covered cakes?

Thanks for your help!!!

4 replies
Cakepro Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 5

Sharp corners are more a result of being able to apply and remove the BC icing correctly, and then using a 2-smoother technique on the hard-chilled cake to get really great, sharp angles on square fondant-covered cakes.

I use Magic Line and Wilton pans, and don't really prefer one over the other as both have sharp corners. Magic Line pans are heavier than Wilton pans, and my only Fat Daddio's are rounds, so I can't comment there.

TrixieTreats Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 5

Great! Thank you for responding. These were my thoughts, and I was hoping someone could echo them so I didn't feel the urge to start over with Magic Line for my set.
Thank you!

FullHouse Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 5

I have Magic Line square pans. The baked cakes have ultra sharp corners, but as Cakepro said, it has to do with how you apply your buttercream and your fondant, you can have a baked cake with perfectly sharp corners but if your icing is not applied correctly for that effect, you will not have sharp corners on your finished cake.

That said, I do love my Magic Line pans, can't compare with Fats but I do like them better than Wilton.

Sugarshack has excellent DVD's for buttercream and fondant, I have both and they helped me immensely.

tonedna Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 5

I agree, it's all in the way you ice your cake. You can have the most sharp pans in the world but if the icing is not
applied correctly, it wont make a difference.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%