Cake And Cupcakes For 300?

Decorating By Kbbaby Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 8:56pm by Kbbaby

Kbbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kbbaby Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:55am
post #1 of 5

Help! I've been asked to do cake and cupcakes for 300 people. This is my largest order yet. It is a cake for a benefit supper/birthday party. I'm not sure how to go about this. Should I make 12x18 sheet cakes or should I make a tiered cake? I even thought about doing 2 side by side 2-tier cakes plus cupcakes. Any advice?

4 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 5

Well, have you ever done a tiered cake before? How soon is this event? Did they specify how many cupcakes they wanted? I think doing one 3 tiered cake and the rest in cupcakes would be nice. But if you're not comfortable doing tiered cakes, sheet cakes are always an option.

Kbbaby Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 5

The event is August 13th, so I still have a little time. They didn't specify how many cupcakes they wanted. I think they were looking for the cake to be basically the centerpiece with cupcakes to make up the rest. I've done 2-tiered cakes before. I guess I'm just not sure what size 3-tier cake to do. It's been suggested I do an 8, 12, and 16 inch, but then I'd have to do maybe another 100 cupcakes? I don't mind doing that many cupcakes, but would it look right around the cake?

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 5

I know you posted that you want the bulk of your servings to come from the cake and the cupcakes to be the extra servings.

But, in my pics you will find the exact opposite of that (just for other ideas). It is the picture with all the cupcakes - can't miss it. There were 288 cupcakes and the top tier served 12 = 300 servings.

Kbbaby Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 5

Wow! That's a lot of cupcakes! I give you credit for making and decorating all of them! I don't know if that's quite the way I want to go though. I've already got a sketch I want to go with for the cake and the cupcakes will be very basic.

Thank you though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%