Help! My Top Border Is Sagging/falling!

Decorating By Joyful72 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm by Joyful72

Joyful72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful72 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:52am
post #1 of 4

I just applied the top border (shell) to a cake that's due tomorrow and it's now sagging/falling off. Some of the BC frosting on the side is also starting to "melt" off. Is there anything I can do to correct this and prevent it from sagging/falling off further?

TIA

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:02am
post #2 of 4

Buttercream starts to break down between 80-85 degrees. Do you have your a/c on?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 4

It does sound like it might be melting. That could be due to the temperature its in or even too much liquid in your thin icing can cause it to fall off of the cake. I would take off anything that is already falling so that it doesn't weight down what is still fine and refrigerate it.

Joyful72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful72 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks ladies. I did refrigerating it after and it prevented the rest of the borders from completely falling off. However, I haven't completed adding the decorations or the inscription; and I'm worried that during transport, the rest of the borders *will* fall off icon_cry.gif

I am currently working to fix the fallen borders. Here's hoping it works.

We did have our A/C on, but it probably wasn't cold enough and the frosting covering the cake was pretty thin. I did stiffen the consistency of it for the borders b4 applying it.

Lessons learned for the next cake right? What consistency frosting do you use to ice your cakes...medium or thin or somewhere in between?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%