New At Making Fondant Decor...need Help, Please!

Decorating By Sarah03 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 3:40am by carmijok

Sarah03 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 3

I am making my own MMF fondant. It looks good, soft & pliable as I knead it and work with it, but after putting it on the cake it seems to get dry & brittle, cracks easily. Is this normal? Should I brush anything on it to keep it looking good for several hours?

For an order this weekend, I have to make princess crowns & frogs with crowns to top cupcakes. I was going to make them out of fondant and let it dry. The frogs will be kind of large and I was picturing sticking them standing up in the frosting swirl. Will they get that hard and not break? Do I leave them sitting out or keep them airtight until delivery? How do I "glue" fondant decor to other fondant decor? Is just water good enough, or royal icing, melted chocolate? What is best?

I've been reading and it seems like maybe gum tragacanth would stiffen up my fondant some to make these figures harden. True? I would not want to use tylose b/c it seems to me that gum trag is the more natural version and that is important to me. Not sure if it will be hard to find, though.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sarah

2 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #2 of 3

If you're in England you can probably find gum trag. In the US, Tylose is a lot easier to find and even it is hard to find sometimes...I live in a really big city and there's only one place in town that sells it. Tylose is used in lots of medications as a thickener, so it's not like you're going to be feeding people a chemical they've never consumed before.

Anyhow, make your fondant decor several days ahead of time and it will dry enough to hold its shape. To glue pieces together, use egg white (meringue powder mixed with water) or use a little tylose dissolved in water. You can use chocolate but it's messier, or royal icing as well.

Are you having to use a lot of powdered sugar on your work surface when you're rolling out the fondant? That can make it look dry and crack on the cake. Try using a vinyl mat to roll the fondant on, and dust it with cornstarch or grease it very lightly with Crisco to prevent sticking.

carmijok Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:40am
post #3 of 3

If you can find pre-made gum paste then I would use that. Don't know if you have the Wilton variety where you are or not, but I've found that true gum paste and not an addition to fondant is much better to make stand up and sturdy decor. It dries much faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%