Anyone Watching Fabulous Cakes?

Lounge By mindy1204 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm by Rachel5370

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #31 of 62

I haven't seen this Fabulous Cakes show yet. I'll have to DVR it and check it out.

I don't like Cake Boss. But I don't find Buddy and his family very likeable - they may be in real life, but the come off as schmucks on the show.

I don't like DC Cupcakes. It is a very scripted show. And the whole thing with the signature swirl - first, it's not signature if everyone does it. Second, if you have that many employees that can't do it, you need to rethink your employee selection process.

I like Cupcake Wars, but mostly because i love that judge with the French accent. "o' courze I am French! Why do you zink I have zis outrageouz acczEnt!" icon_biggrin.gif

I don't get the channel tier that has the Amazing Wedding Cakes channel. I may have to see how much it would be to order it!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:13pm
post #32 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I also liked the way she used a strip of waxpaper or whatever it was to smooth the globe cake...

When my son was little, we used to watch a show called Reading Rainbow. On one episode there was a segment about cakes, in which the cake decorator also used a strip of wax paper or parchment to smooth a basketball. Interesting technique! This clip is about 6 mins long.

BlueBirdBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBirdBakery Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:54pm
post #33 of 62

I agree with all the comments on the "reality" cake shows. It is all so "staged" and the situations are so predictable...especially on Cake Boss. I wish they would quit yelling long enough to show some new cake ideas, new techniques and maybe TEACH me something interesting!
DC Cupcakes is worse...if they don't quit yelling MOMMY, I am going to hurt someone! lol
They need to get rid of the host on the Cupcake Wars...he is terrible.

Cake Decorators are artists, and we want to see ART-not someone elses crazy employees and family...we all deal with that 24/7! Right?[/center]

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #34 of 62

I did watch last week and this week and have to say I love this show. It really takes the time to show what goes into making a cake like this (maybe give people a clue that it takes time and a lot of work to produce this edible art) as well as some techniques like the sugar work that you don't get to see often. I DO wish they would say what the cakes cost every show...help the public understand. And, yes, can't wait for Amazing Wedding Cakes to start up again.

My fav part of the show last night was the sugar work...it was simply amazing. I held my breath when he added the railing to that sailboat and LOVED the jelly fish on the side...just gorgeous!

Cat

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #35 of 62

I love Fantastic Cakes - it's about cake decorating, not drama. It's sad that Cake Boss has turned into a show NOT about cakes. I still watch it thought.
Cupcake wars and DC cupcakes are at the bottom of my list. Although, some of the recipes from Cupcake wars are pretty good - they are posted on the food network site.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:23pm
post #36 of 62

My question is: How many cake shows can I record on my DVR, and what do I do when it gets full??! Please don't say delete some of the shows! My daughter says I have to get another DVR for another room in the house.
I have watched and re-watched some of my favorites that I've recorded and I just can't delete anything with Norm Davis/Zane Beg, Collette Peters, James Rosselle, etc., etc., get the picture?! Now with Fabulous Cakes and a new season of Amazing Wedding Cakes what the heck am I gonna do??
I wonder if Hulu has any of them?

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #37 of 62

I watched last week show with the puppets/sushi/wedding cake. I LOVED the fact that the price was stated. With all of the cake shows on TV now, everyone who wants custom cakes expects work like they see on TV, but only expect to pay $100. They see these 30 minute shows producing massive, extravagant cakes and think they can easily get the same, not realizing just how many decorators are involved, and how much $$ was truly paid for these creations!

I agree about the "drama" and "staged" cake shows. Just focus on technique, talent & design, and leave the family drama at home.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:29pm
post #38 of 62

Fabulous Cakes? I've never heard of this one. what network does it come on?

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #39 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyNoQ

Did she use a credit card to smooth the buttercream on the tatoo cake?

Ack! I noticed that too and yelled at the TV! That is sure what it looked like with the black strip and writing on the back side of the card. Don't want to know where that card was before the icing!!!!

Transporting cakes in trucks get my thumbsdown.gif

linstead Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #40 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

It is on TLC.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:41pm
post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

TLC. There are also a few threads about the show in The Lounge.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #42 of 62

Do any of you guys scoop batter with your bare hands, like in the Reading Rainbow video and (I think) someone from Cake Boss?
If I did that, I'd have to wash my hands every 2 seconds, with all the finger-licking and all.

justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #43 of 62

I totally agree with the comments on here. DC Cupcake is Painful!!! Who says "MOMMY"??!?!?!?! GAWD!!!
But I was just saying to my mom (note I call her my mom!) last night that Fab Cakes seems to be more informative and natural. I TiVo'd last nights so I will watch soon but enjoyed the first one alot!

CWR41 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

My question is: How many cake shows can I record on my DVR, and what do I do when it gets full??! Please don't say delete some of the shows! My daughter says I have to get another DVR for another room in the house.

Press your DVR button twice (or go to "my recordings") and it will show you how much time remaining is still available. If you have HD, you won't run out of space as quickly if you record in SD on the non-HD channels.

If you don't want to delete to make more room for more shows, you're going to need to transfer them to a DVD (if you have a DVD recorder hooked up to it).

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #45 of 62

I have to say I was NOT impressed with the rolling pins or the tattoo cake. I couldn't believe how lumpy the ring box on the top was. I would have made sure to get that perfect, it was going to be holding the ring for cryin out loud!!!!!!!

catlharper Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #46 of 62

No, I don't scoop with my hands...not even glove covered ones<G> and I can NOT imagine putting my cake into someone's trunk! Stacked cakes get delivered..period! On those rare occassion when I'm not delivering a 3D or sheet cake I make it absolutely clear that once it leaves my hands I'm no longer responsible for what happens to it. I say it at time of booking, put it into the contract AND say it again as I'm handing over the cake. I don't want to have to pay for it when they step on the gas too hard or slam on the brakes. I also box every single cake even if I can't put a top on it...just for stability if nothing else. I use a cakesafe now to deliver stacked cakes but before I would just box each up seperately and stack at the venue. We were all appalled when they just set it into someones trunk with no box or anything!

Cat

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:15pm
post #47 of 62

Thanks for the info! I found it and set my DVR to record the reruns as well as the Monday night series!

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #48 of 62

Havent watched last nights ep of Fab Cakes yet, but also loved that they put the price on the cakes. DC Cakes is horrid. I hope the producers troll this site and see all the negative comments. They do not belong on TV. I kinda enjoy Cupcake Wars. Love the French chef.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #49 of 62

I watched Fab. cakes both weeks. I think it's a good show, but liked last week much better than last nights show. I didn't care for the bowling pin cake and the cake in the trunk was surprising. I agree, she was complaining about the heat in the bakery, I'm wondering what the temps were outside when that was filmed.

Was that guy going to have a party when he proposed? That was a heck of alot of cake for 2 people!

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:56pm
post #50 of 62

Love, love, love this show! My favorite part is they get up close and personal with the cakes and HOW they are being made. I hope they stay in this direction and please bring back the pricing per cakes shown!!! This will let people know that cake makers are not crazy people when you quote a $200.00-600.00 cake.
What did everyone think about the Earth Day cake (I thought it was beautiful) but I did not see any support go into the bottom tier...did I miss it? Also looked like there was NO cakeboards under any of her cakes as she stacked?? Did any one notice that or does anyone stack like that...just curious. Also loved that I learned the Wax Paper trick for rounding the ball...how cool!
Some of the cakes were super and some were just ok but that is the real cake world right???
Can't wait for the next episode!
Curious, as so many people talked about their dislike of Cake Boss...has anyone heard about him looking for cake makers/decorators to make a new show???
Suzi

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:40pm
post #51 of 62

I think this show is really good!!! About the bowling cake was not the best but it is good that they show the audience what decorators have to go through. Not always you can do your best!!!

Yes, she used a credit card

I love everything in this show.

CWR41 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzisweet

What did everyone think about the Earth Day cake (I thought it was beautiful) but I did not see any support go into the bottom tier...did I miss it? Also looked like there was NO cakeboards under any of her cakes as she stacked??

I deleted it from my DVR so I can't watch again, but I recall watching the straws inserted on at least one of the tiers (perhaps they didn't film the entire process, of course). And I remember seeing a cake board underneath the top tier globe (again... with filming, perhaps the angle wasn't low enough to get an actual peek at what was underneath with all of the other tiers).

linstead Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #53 of 62

Bowling pin cake - why didn't she make a bowling pin out of chocolate (using a bowling pin mold) - glue the two halves together and then cover it with fondant???? I think that would have been a lot easier and turned out better icon_confused.gif

And straws for supports kind of mistified me or was my hearing on the fritz???

Do like this show though....it's fun especially with the different locations every week. No need for the drama/reality show thing..

catlharper Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:46am
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstead

Bowling pin cake - why didn't she make a bowling pin out of chocolate (using a bowling pin mold) - glue the two halves together and then cover it with fondant???? I think that would have been a lot easier and turned out better icon_confused.gif

And straws for supports kind of mistified me or was my hearing on the fritz???

Do like this show though....it's fun especially with the different locations every week. No need for the drama/reality show thing..

I agree, chocolate would be a great idea for the bowling pin.

As for the straws, lots and lots of people use them...they are known as "bubble tea straws" and are a way to save a bit of money for support issues...and they are easier to trim than dowels. Having said that, I don't use them...gotta give them a try tho...not sure I trust them<G>

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #55 of 62

For the Earth Day cake it looked like she just had straw supports in the second tier, then mentioned it being wobbly and sent it off with the customer to drive to the event icon_eek.gif. They were individually paper wrapped and looked like skinny straws but I guess they could have been bubble tea straws.

I do wish they'd give prices for the smaller scale cakes like the ones on last nights episode. It would definitely put it in perspective for the general public.

shari22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari22 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

No, I don't scoop with my hands...not even glove covered ones<G> and I can NOT imagine putting my cake into someone's trunk! Stacked cakes get delivered..period! On those rare occassion when I'm not delivering a 3D or sheet cake I make it absolutely clear that once it leaves my hands I'm no longer responsible for what happens to it. I say it at time of booking, put it into the contract AND say it again as I'm handing over the cake. I don't want to have to pay for it when they step on the gas too hard or slam on the brakes. I also box every single cake even if I can't put a top on it...just for stability if nothing else. I use a cakesafe now to deliver stacked cakes but before I would just box each up seperately and stack at the venue. We were all appalled when they just set it into someones trunk with no box or anything!

Cat

OMG!!! You took the words right out of my "hands" LOLOL

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:16am
post #57 of 62

I understand what some of you are saying about Cupcake Wars, but there is an outside chance I will be going on that show as an assistant. So, do ya think I will turn it down if that happens? Uhh...NO! icon_biggrin.gif

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:17pm
post #58 of 62

Rachael- none of us would turn down that opportunity, no matter how we feel about the show! Good Luck, I hope you get to go! And of course keep us posted, that is one episode I know we will all watch if we know you are on it. And maybe then you can share some inside secrets with us- Like is that French accent real??? Hope you get to go!!!

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:38am
post #59 of 62

Oh yeah, I will so tell everyone if we go. My new business partner is the one who started it all up. Apparently she is a finalist. She is member here too and we will post everything about it that we are allowed! After it airs, I am sure it's fair game. What is cool about that show is that you get to wear something with your logo on it- great publicity! ~Rachel

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 10:33am
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterpatty

. My husband laughed at me over the bowling cake and the tattoo cake because I kept saying, "you think those are good? Well, you should see some of the cakes the CC girls make!"

I dont watch ace of cakes or cake boss because I am always saying that, or DH is yelling, "get that powderd sugar off that cake!! good grief!!" at the TV. icon_biggrin.gif

Havent tried fabulous cakes, but I think I will set it to record.

oh.. I HATE CUPCAKE crap!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%