Help Decorating A Cake On A Job Interview For A Bakery!

Decorating By NellaVerde Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm by NellaVerde

NellaVerde Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:48am
post #1 of 8

Hello, I would appreciate all suggestions on decorating a simple example cake for a bakery interview. The position open is for a cake decorator and the bakery manager will be monitering me as I work. I just recently took the Wilton 1 and 2 decorating classes this spring, since that time I have decorated cakes and cupcakes for church, family and friends. I also have 2 photos on CC (as I am a newbie). icon_smile.gif Thank you again in advance.

7 replies
JKEvents Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 8

i'm a newbie too, but i say keep it simple. do something that you are comfortable with-don't try to impress them by going way overboard. If you keep it simple it will be easier for it to have a clean finish and have a great presentation!

BlueBirdBakery Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 8

Let us know how you do! Good Luck!

KoryAK Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 8

EXACTLY. Clean finish is a must - more important than way out there design. Show off whatever skills you have but especially the basics. Good torting, smooth icing, a little scrollwork, inscription, basic shells and pearls and roses. If they can see that you have that down, they know you at least moldable.

Unlimited Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 8

Good luck... let us know how it goes. Sounds like you're going in confident and probably don't need too many pointers, but if you're looking for more opinions you might try posting in another forum (or ask a moderator to move this to a better place). I never visit this forum, but noticed it when it came up on the home page... I believe it's geared towards people who are looking for specific creative ideas rather than help for an interview.

My input is that they'll probably be watching your speed as well as accuracy. Try to make it clear that you are willing to learn "their way" and aren't limited to one way, because they'll want you to be trainable.

DiviniDee Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:23am
post #6 of 8

As a bakery owner and having interviewed several new hires for my bakery. If you can get a buttercream cake as smooth as possible you will be fine. Everything else will come with practice. Good Luck.

NellaVerde Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions and ideas. I had to decorate a sheet cake, I was hoping it would be a small round cake. This was however a grocery store bakery and sheet cakes are what is most requested at that location. This was my first actual sheet cake. Here is the good news: I believe my cake was smooth, I picked up using the airbrush machine nicely, my colors were vibrant and complementary for a 13 year old girl (bright pink and green). Ok here is the bad news: The pretend birthday's girl was Amber, I wrote Happy birthday Amanda lol!!, when I smoothed the sides my corners became round. It took me quite a while and I definately need work on my shell border. It's ok though. I just need more practice. My origninal plan has always been cupcakes, but I found out about the job opening and thought I'd give it a try. Well on the bright side my state, Michigan, just approved the cottage food law and I expect to sell cupcakes as early as this weekend. All things work together for good for those that love the Lord!

NellaVerde Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 8

oh what I meant to say was I will be selling at our local farmers market this weekend due to the new cottage food law. I am so very excited about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%