Why Talk About It If It's Not Going To Happen!? (Long)

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 4:29am by Motta

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:24am
post #1 of 9

So, I'm a little frustrated and don't know what to do.

I have been trying to start some type of a cake business for the past 3 years but I have written two business plans and I just don't think it's feasible in my area.

Baking out of my home is just barely working and yes, I know it's Illegal. I barely bake for real customers anyway :p I have a friend/cousin who does the same but she is actually a pastry chef with a real job icon_lol.gif unlike me who just graduated college and is looking to do SOMETHING!

We are both very talented along with my husband who is an artist/photographer and helps with my cakes once in a while. Every time I'm around family now they talk about us opening up a business icon_confused.gif one of my mom's good friends says "You should do this on your own, open a business and ask everyone to invest!" Like it's all THAT easy icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm so torn and frustrated with what people are saying now. It's like before I wasn't really sure if everyone is supportive...NOW everyone seems extra supportive and even says they would back the business up....BUUUT they have NO MONEY. I want to say "PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!" and I try to say something really nice but nothing ever comes of it.

I don't get it...I am now graduated and people want to support this business but I don't have the funds, neither does my cousin. It's like we're all just joking around and "talking up a big storm" when nothing's gonna happen.

Do you guys have people like this? what do you say or do? What should I say or do!?

I'm about ready to write up a proposal and going around to solicit those donations everyone is talking about icon_twisted.gif

8 replies
cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:46am
post #2 of 9

If the business plans say it is not feasible then tell them that you have done research into starting such a business and it is not economically viable. Sure there is always a risk in starting a business but if your plan says your area cannot support such a business starting it to give it a go does not seem like a very good idea.

Keep in mind based on your plans you know more about the business than your supporters whose sentiments and intentions are good but giving advice that is uninformed. If you tell them you have looked seriously into opening a business, done the business plans, and they say it is not possible, this should stop the oh this is a good idea talk.

It is your family and friends but a business could never get off the ground then asking them to invest seems like a bad idea. What is the point? If their resources are limited I would not think it a good idea to ask them to allocate those resources to an initiative that is destined to fail.

Now let me be clear, I am not saying you are going to fail. I am only going off your post which says that your business plans show that opening a store would not be economically viable.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #3 of 9

Yeah...been there...am there. My family is very "into" starting one's own business but now that I am actually entering into it, they all seem to be super cautious and unconvinced. I've had to bolster myself up quite often because I truly believe in what I can do. Thank goodness for my supportive DH and my sister!

If you want it, forget about what they are saying and if they are going to ante up. Do what is true to you.

That being said, if your business plan says its not feasible then you will have trouble finding investors. You may have to finance it yourself.

step0nmi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #4 of 9

cakeprof- you bring up a good point. it's nice to have support but it makes me sad that I KNOW they don't have the funds to support the business so, they keep joking around. I'm going to say it's not feasible and that I've done the research and see what happens. unfortunately, I live with 2 joking families icon_rolleyes.gif

Motta-financing myself is not an option...this is just a crappy area and if I really wanted to do this I would have to take the business to a different area. which, I know sounds easy but I would LIKE it in this are :p

it just all doesn't add up...you know. you want everything to work out but you know it can't and it just brings me down sometimes icon_cry.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 9

you just described my family.. maybe we are related... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Motta Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #6 of 9

I truly, truly feel for you! I'm sorry the numbers are working out to your advantage. I remember the fever I had with cakes before I got my business off the ground...it was literally ALL I thought about and it kept me up at night.

One huge advantage you have is that you have run your numbers. It's not a "pie-in-the-sky" fantasy. You know that it will be difficult and ultimately not feasible. Best advice I can give is to fill up your time with new pursuits. I've had to take some time off recently and I spend more time with my kids, I read books not pertaining to cake, I chat longer with friends. I actually have reduced my desire for the cake biz because I have put it on the shelf temporarily. Just a suggestion for you so that you don't get too depressed over it!

step0nmi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:06am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

I truly, truly feel for you! I'm sorry the numbers are working out to your advantage. I remember the fever I had with cakes before I got my business off the ground...it was literally ALL I thought about and it kept me up at night.

One huge advantage you have is that you have run your numbers. It's not a "pie-in-the-sky" fantasy. You know that it will be difficult and ultimately not feasible. Best advice I can give is to fill up your time with new pursuits. I've had to take some time off recently and I spend more time with my kids, I read books not pertaining to cake, I chat longer with friends. I actually have reduced my desire for the cake biz because I have put it on the shelf temporarily. Just a suggestion for you so that you don't get too depressed over it!

thank you...i did this already for my last year of school. now i'm back to it and HAPPIER than ever icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

seriously...very happy. I think I may go over the numbers again...I think I was missing something when my mentor went over it...can't remember what and I will just have to figure it out.

step0nmi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:07am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

you just described my family.. maybe we are related... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

oh yea? fun for parties...not for real life icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Motta Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:29am
post #9 of 9

Yeah, maybe run those numbers again. I was going to ask....what type of area do you live in that this biz would not be feasible?? eg.Too many people out of work, not many families, lots of transient workers, high lease costs,etc.

I can't imagine a town that couldn't handle a place to buy cakes for parties. Everyone's got a birthday at least! The only thing I can think of is price points being too high. Working out of a rental kitchen or your home could significantly lower your overhead rather than having a storefront. Blah, blah..I'm sure you've heard this before. I hope you find some peace with your decision. Please do keep us updated!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%