Need Mexican Ideas

Lounge By KayMc Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:56am
post #1 of 15

I'm having two couples over for dinner this coming weekend for Mexican food and margaritas.

Even though my daughter says I should NOT make a cake, as it doesn't go with the meal, I'm still considering it. Any ideas as to flavors? Any ideas as to decorations?

Menu: tacos, enchiladas, guacamole, grilled corn, homemade refried beans, margaritas, margaritas, more margaritas. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Part of me is saying "screw it", I just want a decadent cake like a moist choc cake with my to die for peanut butter frosting. Will I ruin everything if I do that? I think most people will enjoy the cake, even if it's not Mexican.

14 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 15

I would say if you already have a full menu dont stress over it...however if you want to add more stress to your day icon_smile.gif

I know that 3 leches is very popular amongst my culture (Mexican)..I personally hate it. Or maybe do a simple margarita cake or pina colada cake. Or how about those flavors into cuppies?? I think CC are simple and easy to make as long as you dont get too fancy icon_smile.gif

IMO....a simple cake would be best because you already have a full day ahead of you icon_smile.gif I have come across some cool recipes for margarita or pina colada cake

Or if you want to stay with the margarita theme...a simple round cake with some fondant margarita cutouts

Good luck

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #3 of 15

Ooooh...I just remembered....how about some mexican cookies....like polvorones or something....keep it within the Mexican theme icon_lol.gif

Wnt2BACakeStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wnt2BACakeStar Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:08am
post #4 of 15

I would say go ahead and make whatever cake you think would be awesome to eat. Unless you really adamant on keeping with you Mexican theme. I don't think I know of any specific cake that Mexicans love to eat lol unless its a tres leche and that may be a little to heavy for this meal. Especially with the margaritas! Good luck!

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #5 of 15

If this link doesn't work Google margarita cupcakes. http://www.recipegirl.com/2007/05/01/margarita-cupcakes/

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #6 of 15

How about a Mayan chocolate cake, you know "chocolate abuelita" to yummy, totally mexican'

KayMc Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #7 of 15

Thanks, everyone! Wow! Those margarita cupcakes sound wonderful!

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #8 of 15

Mexican cocoa is chocolate with cinnamon. And maybe some other spices? I think a chocolate cinnamon cake would be awesome. icon_smile.gif

I can't vouch for this recipe, it's just what came up when I googled, but it says cinnamon and almond.
http://www.culinarycafe.com/Desserts/Mexican_Cocoa_Cake.html

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:22am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyml

Mexican cocoa is chocolate with cinnamon. And maybe some other spices? I think a chocolate cinnamon cake would be awesome. icon_smile.gif

I can't vouch for this recipe, it's just what came up when I googled, but it says cinnamon and almond.
http://www.culinarycafe.com/Desserts/Mexican_Cocoa_Cake.html

I was going to say something cinnamon and chocolate too, I don't know if it would go with the meal but it would be soooo yummy!

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:39am
post #10 of 15

Frankly I am not sure why these ideas are centering on what Mexicans eat. From the menu items listed it is far from Mexican and more "Tex-Mex". Yes I get there is a theme to the party, but that theme is not based on what "Mexicans" eat. Thus a tres leches cake would be consistent with the theme.

You could also try a dulce de leche cake. Dulce de Leche is quite popular through out Latin America. If you wanted to spice things up another common practice in Latin America is to add ground chili powder to chocolate. And there are recipes for those kind of cakes as well.

Even if cake is not a traditional "Mexican" dessert, embrace modern fusion techniques where you bring the flavors of a culture to non-traditional foods. If you do I fail to see how any such cake would not go with the meal.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:00am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zchpr

How about a Mayan chocolate cake, you know "chocolate abuelita" to yummy, totally mexican'

I second this!!

KayMc Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:43am
post #12 of 15

You've all provided some great ideas! And yes, it's Tex-Mex rather than Mexican. This is generically speaking, not literally!

The reason I wanted a cake is that I would have it completed ahead of time, and wouldnl't need to be cooking w/ guests there. That being said, grilled pineapple is grabbing my attention now. Only bad thing is that I need to scrub the grill grates first for that...... icon_cry.gif

I like the fusion philosophy, so cake just might be the way I go. I have a few days to decide yet. Thanks again, everyone! I love the input and ideas.

cakewitch85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewitch85 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 15

How about a choco flan aka impossible cake.
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=57

cakewitch85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewitch85 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #14 of 15

How about a choco flan aka impossible cake.
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=57

KayMc Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 15

Wow, Cakewitch! That sounds wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%