Cake Flour

Baking By marston6 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm by LindaF144a

marston6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marston6 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #1 of 6

I don't have any cake flour on hand, is there a way to substitute it?

5 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:27am
post #3 of 6

There are a couple of substitutions but probably your best bet is simply this:

For every cup of cake flour use 1 cup of all purpose flour minus two tablespoons. Basically one cup of cake flour is equal to 7/8 of a cup of all purpose flour (hence the minus 2 tablespoons).

Some substitutions will say to replace those 2 tablespoons with 2 tablespoons of corn starch. However given that cake recipes usually contain 2 cups of flour or more, the addition of that much corn starch could adversely affect the texture of the cake.

marston6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marston6 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #4 of 6

Thankyou so much!!!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 6

I've only ever had to find the substitute for a/p flour when I've only had cake flour.

But according to this site http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html you can use 3/4 of a/p flour plus 2 tbsp of corn starch for 1 cup of cake flour.

However that seemed off to me, so I found this site http://frugalliving.about.com/od/makeyourowningredients/r/Cake_Flour_Sub.htm which says basically 2 tbsp of cornstarch in the bottom of a 1 cup measure and then a/p flour to make a cup. Basically 7/8 cup of flour + 2 tbsp.

Still not sure I went to my ancient Joy of Cooking (my newer one doesn't do Substitutions and Equivalents) and she just has 1 cup less 2 tbsp of a/p flour = 1 cup of cake flour.

On line I found that adding the corn starch will improve the texture. Also, if your recipe calls for sifted flour, be sure to sift the a/p flour before measuring.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 6

You will get a difference in your cake depending the flour. But I have found that Gold Medal AP bleached flour works just as well as cake flour.

And yes to adding less AP flour like another poster said. And yes to the cornstarch thing also, but sift and stir a lot. Sift about 6 times and stir for about 30 seconds.

But I made cupcakes with cake flour and the GM AP bleached flour and the unbleached flour. The cake flour and unbleached flour cupcakes were identical. You couldn't tell the difference. Not so much for the unbleached/cornstarch cupcakes. I will not be using that kind of flour for cakes again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%