My New Favorite Cake Show

Lounge By vww104 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm by quilting2011

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 24

is TLC's Fabulous Cakes, which focuses on three bakeries and shows how they make all those fabulous cakes. They show techniques, how much work really goes into it and even tells you how much the cakes cost. They talk about the background of the shop owners and there are no antics, which I don't like about Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes.

23 replies
Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 24

I have this on my DVR, can't wait to watch it based on your review of it! icon_smile.gif

kerrimanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerrimanda Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 24

Just set my DVR to record it. I always want to know the details, but they never show them so I will love this show!

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 24

thumbs_up.gif I think it's time we had a new cake show. Gettin' sick of the old ones.

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 24

Oh my gosh, I'm watching the re-run of it now and LOVE it!! These people are so talented and they're actually showing how they do it! Definitely my new fave!!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 24

Have only seen one episode, but was impressed that they talked about the expense and showed the actual working process. It's good to see that TLC can actually make a show that isn't a "reality" show.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 24

I seen it too and really enjoyed it, waaaaayyyy more entertainment value to me than those "other two shows"! There is enough drama in the world don't need to see it on those shows (so over the top). Also watched my first and last episode of D.C. Cupcakes, way toooo phony for me (Mommy)!

Shumab02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shumab02 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #8 of 24

I've watched the Las Vegas show twice now!! Can't wait for the next one. I think I may try the chocolate carnations they show. icon_biggrin.gif

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #9 of 24

Love it, too. And loved seeing Terry Fator (seen him in person, read his book - and want to see him in Vegas.)

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:15am
post #10 of 24

I 100% agree with you! thumbs_up.gif
It's soooo much better then the other shows.. And I am super glad that they put the cake prices on there.
Now, watching this show and then seeing Cake Boss or DC Cupcakes- makes me more annoyed with their shows then I was before... lol
But I am not complaing. icon_confused.gif
Love this new show, can't wait to see tonight's new episode. icon_smile.gif
Jodi

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:26am
post #11 of 24

Thanks for the heads up! I had given up on all the cake shows so didn't even bother anymore, so good thing I can across this post! I just set my DVR! Now I'm all excited.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #12 of 24

There are a couple/few threads on "Fabulous Cakes" over in The Lounge too!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #13 of 24

can't wait to see it! thanks for the heads up that it's worth watching

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #14 of 24

It almost seems like someone from TLC has been reading this forum because the things we have gripped about the most are included in this new show.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #15 of 24

I like this one too! I don't watch too much tlc, too much "reality", too exploitative but I'm liking this one, love that they talk about $$$

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #16 of 24

I've watched 4 of the DC cupcakes; two hours I'll never get back. Give me a giant break. Does ANY charity that wants expensive, nice stuff for free call a business and ask for an enormous donation 24 hours before it is needed? I don't think so. If I had a business, and it was my busiest day of the year (DC Cupcakes, valentine's day), I wouldn't care WHO the charity was--if they want stuff for free, they can give appropriate notice. I've noticed this "false sense of emergency" in the other shows too, but DC Cupcakes was ridiculous.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:17am
post #17 of 24

I just finished watching Fabulous Cakes for the first time tonight!!! AMAZING I love that the cakes are well... CAKE!!!! Not wood or PVC or whatever non edible crap that 'those other guys' put in the cakes. Sorry small vent there. icon_redface.gif Anyway I loved it and would highly recommend it to anyone that had given up on the other shows.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #18 of 24

I know what you mean luvbuttercream, I myself like cakes that dont have all that "stuff" in/on them. I appreciate and admire their work, but I enjoy shows that stick to a more realistic cake design.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:41am
post #19 of 24

As do I. I suppose I could of worded it much nicer like you did. icon_redface.gif oops again.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #20 of 24

YES!! Love this show! They just show it real along with their amazing skills and techniques!

silverc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverc Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #21 of 24

I watched for the first time tonight, but I never saw any prices. That was one of the main reasons I wanted to watch. Maybe I just missed the prices, since I was doing about 10 other things at the same time! LOL Does anyone know when they show the price of the cake?

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #22 of 24

another favorite show of mine is Wedding cake Wars on WE network.

Also check TLC Fabulous cakes. One of my favorite blogs will be on the show:

www.mysweetandsaucy.com

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #23 of 24

Watched Fabulous Cakes show last night from Philadelphia, and no prices mentioned at all. bummer

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #24 of 24

I saw Fabulous Cakes about the bakeries from Philly. The chef who created to bicyle cake with spokes-he used sugar blown Ismolt. After watching that show, I want to learn how to use Isomolt.

another showed I liked was Wedding Cake wars. on WE Network

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%